As Always

August 20, 9532 BC

Styxx stood behind his father as his uncle rode through the palace gates with his friends. His blood ran cold at the sight of his uncle's entourage and what it meant for him.

Panic, cold and brutal, gripped him and it took everything he had not to run and bolt himself into his room. Only the knowledge that his father would batter down the door and beat him for it kept him where he was.

Estes dismounted and rushed to embrace his father. "Xerxes! It's so good to see you again."

"And you, my brother. A pleasure as always."

Estes walked up the three steps to pull Styxx into his arms. "How's my favorite stallion?" he whispered in his ear. "Are you ready to ride?"

Styxx would have shoved him away, but Estes held him too tightly.

Kissing him on his cheeks, Estes stepped back so that he could return to his father's side.

Styxx refused to look at the men who'd traveled with his uncle. He had no wish to see their faces or the hunger he was sure darkened their gazes. Nor did he pay attention when his uncle introduced them.

His father threw his arm over his uncle's shoulders. "I can't tell you how glad I am that you're here. Even more so than normal."

"How so?"

"I have to journey to Thessaly in the morning and I didn't want to leave Styxx alone for so long."

Styxx stumbled at that.

His father scowled at him. "Are you all right?"

Fuck no. Literally.

Styxx glared at his father. "Why didn't you tell me about this?"

"I only found out two days ago and didn't want to worry you." Against his will, Styxx glanced to his uncle. The lascivious light in Estes's eyes nauseated him. "I'll be more than happy to stay as long as you need me to, brother."

Of course you would, you sick bastard.

As his father led them inside, Styxx hung back, his head reeling with panic. Why had he not gone to the summer palace with Ryssa and his mother last week?

Because they hated him and would have made his trip and stay with them miserable. Not to mention, he wouldn't have been able to see Bethany until his return.

But this ...

He felt suddenly queasy. His stomach cramped in dread. No one would be here to keep Estes from him. No one.

Day or night ...

His heart pounding, he waited until his father was alone to speak to him.

"Father?"

Sighing, he turned to Styxx with high agitation showing on his face. "What?"

"May I please go with you to Thessaly?"

His father scowled. "Are you insane? Didymos needs someone in the capital to make decisions, especially now that war's looming."

"Estes is here. He can do it without me. Please, Father."

Still his father glared at him. "He's not the heir. You are. We're on the brink of war. Our people need to know they have strong leadership should I have to be away for any reason."

Styxx couldn't breathe as true fear gripped him. He couldn't stay here with Estes. Alone ...

"Please, Father."