IV

"Here's a program," I smile, offering a program to a mother who was dragging her son away from the park. She took it, but didn't look impressed, obviously having to do something to keep her kid in line after he did something that she didn't like. 

The next family passed, and Elena and Bonnie handed out a few programs before Bonnie looked at Elena.

"He didn't call, huh?"

"Or text," Elena sighed, handing out another program, "But then I realized we never exchanged that stuff. We've never gotten to the texting part."

"That's an important milestone in any relationship," Bonnie said, giving her a pointed look.

"You'll just have to bug him about it the next time you see him," I said, smiling as another group of people passed, offering them a program. 

"The timing was wrong anyway," Elena ignored what I said.

"When is it ever right?" Bonnie looked at Elena.

"I'm just not ready, Bonnie," Elena said.

"Who is?"

"At least I put myself out there," Elena turned to look at Bonnie. I paused, handing out my last program before turning to look at her.

"Is that what you're calling it?"

"What do you mean?"

"All I'm hearing is reasons why you can't," Bonnie sighed, giving Elena a sad look. Elena just returned the look before they turned around, Bonnie giving me a look to continue, handing me her programs. I sighed, but saw Caroline across the park, easily moving toward her while handing out my programs.

I joined Caroline as she was looking across the park at some guy dressed in black, looking back at Caroline just as intently.

"Hey, Caroline," I said, stopping beside her.

"Hey, uhm, I'll be right back," She said, taking a few steps forward, still staring intently in front of her. She was doing her determined walk, but a few seconds later she stopped on the spot, and I looked to see that mystery guy had just disappeared. 

Caroline looked around the park, trying to hide her embarrassment before returning to me. "You saw that guy, didn't you?"

"I did," I nodded, letting her know that she wasn't going crazy. She just sighed in response. 

"How did he leave so fast? I swear I was watching him the entire time."

"I don't know," I shook my head, though I definitely had my suspicions.

:_:_:_:_:_:_:

Night fell as Caroline, Elena, Bonnie and I spent our time together, waiting for the moments when the comet would pass over Mystic Falls. Caroline was holding an extra candle for Bonnie, who gladly took it from her before linking arms and following behind Elena and I.

Matt, who already had his candle lit, met Elena and easily put his candle to her's, both of them watching as it was lit. Matt then turned to me, lighting my candle just as quickly as Elena's. I smiled at him in thanks and turned toward Caroline, who lit Bonnie's after her's was lit.

"Does he really have to be around her all the time?" Matt sighed, watching Elena with Stefan

"She's obviously moved on," Caroline was watching them too. 

Matt didn't say anything, turning back to look at us. "I just wish that we'd all go back to normal. If he weren't here, Elena would be with us, moving on and then we'd get back to normal."