He was Alive.

A skinny man with tubes connected to every piece of flesh visible laid, asleep, seeming to be in some sort of coma. My first reaction was to run up to his bed, and lean over, and shout, "Wake up! Wake up!"
I lifted his wrist and placed my middle and index finger on his pulse. He was alive.
I glared at him in disappointment as I was not able to wake him. His hair was brown, curly but gritty around his lower face. A thin blanket laid across his legs, which were grey and bruised. A white patch covered his stomach that raised ever now and then. He must've been really badly hurt.
Then I looked up at the computer screen above us, it was blank like a chalk board that belonged to a lazy teacher.

A lonely grey chair sat in the dim corner of the room, next to wooden draws with cards dotted all over the top. I let go of his wrist and sat myself down onto the rock hard chair, In the corner of my eye, I noticed a half eaten apple sitting on the dresser. I immediately grabbed it and munched through the rest of the apple until it was only a core with some seeds. My hunger suddenly turned into relief. Once I had finished, I pulled a couple cards onto my lap and opened them. The first one was written in messy handwriting with a few errors.

To Dad,
Mom says you've been shot. I'm sorry. I know you will be okay because your in the best place for now. Were visiting you everyday just so you don't get lonely. I know it can be a bit boring in there.
Love from Carl

He's a father. He'll be able to help me when he wakes up.
The next one was written in beautifully joined up handwriting.

Dear my wonderful husband,
I thought that I should write you a card, Carl says it'll be something for you to read when you wake up. He's right, you'll be alright I know it. And I know we've been through a lot, but we've been able to get through it together. When we're not here visiting, just remember that you're always in our thoughts.
I love you always and forever,
Your wife, Lori

I placed the cards flat on the dresser and admired the rest of the room. Standing up, I realised that my burgundy jumper was soaked in blood and sweat, and dirt had filled every stitch. I raised the jumper off of my head to reveal my red T-shirt with the words 'Baby got Back' written on it. I didn't know what it meant because it was my Mom's, it didn't fit her anymore so she gave it to me. My hair was matted and grubby so I decided to give myself a wash.

Stepping out into the hallways, I swiftly scanned for the limping people; I wasn't going to let those things get to me. Across the hallway was a small sink next to a radiator. I quickly walked forward, washed my face, scrubbing to get all of the dirt off of my skin. I filled the sink full of water and shoved my jumper in there. The blood dyed the water, creating a storm of red. My heart sank again. When I looked up, I saw my reflection in the mirror. A sad, small eyed girl greeted me. My nose was small and flicked up at the end, my lips thin too, but my face was blotchy from all of the crying. A sea of warmth suddenly hit me, so I got as close to the radiator as possible. I placed the jumper over the top to hopefully dry it out.

Back in the man's room, I found a nurses notepad with scribbles and other nonsense all over. I grabbed the notepad and pen, and plonked myself onto chair.