Hyakunichisou

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
____________
–•–

      ANOMIE HAD GOTTEN HER FIRST TATTOO, MARKED UPON HER SKIN ON A DARK night where the clouds had filled the sky with thunder

      ANOMIE HAD GOTTEN HER FIRST TATTOO, MARKED UPON HER SKIN ON A DARK night where the clouds had filled the sky with thunder. It had been soon after being sold, soon after being raped, and just before her first client requested her immediately, that they had branded her with the mark. It was a rare occurrence, for usually new courtesans were trained to become pleasure slaves. However, her first client had influence and status, and he had been the one to sell her in the first place. His claim was stronger than her tears, so at that young age, she had been forced to bite down on a strap of leather as the Mistress of the house had branded her with ink. It was a smaller pleasure house, poor, and not nearly as proper as the one she would later join to watch Ohashi die. That being said, her first brand had stung so greatly, that she could still sometimes taste the strap of leather in her mouth, begin to soak with blood for she had bitten down too hard.

        "How did all the seals just up and disappear," came Nobu's voice as he used the bamboo needle, dipped in ink, and continued to crest the last of Anomie's twelve seals up and down her arms. His fingers always touched her shoulder a tad too long and a moment too gentle, but she didn't have any complaints to his loose caresses of her body.

      Anomie didn't answer his question, watching him lean back after finishing the last seal. The pain of all the tattoos coursed through her skin, and she could only imagine how they would all feel when she pulsed her Chakra to activate them. She didn't have the time to wait. It had to be now.

      She glanced down at her shoulder, seeing the once unchanged anbu mark was nowhere to be seen. She'd never get it back. The mark was just ink and pain, but it represented the only time in her life when she felt her life had purpose. It represented the only time when she didn't question her every action as right or wrong.

      How odd that in a blink of an eye, that safety net would be taken away, never to return.

      She thought about asking for it again, so she could remember who she had once been. She had the same thoughts about the mark of the Oiran that once resided in the back of her neck.

      But it was for the best that they were gone. There was no future if she constantly looked towards the past. For now, she just had to forget all of that so she could live. After all, flowers don't second guess themselves before they bloom. Her petals were withered, but she had to believe that eventually, she could stand up tall.

      "You have that look in your eyes," Nobu's voice cast her out of her stupor. She turned towards him, finding his face rather close.

      "What look?" Anomie asked in a monotone, watching his eyes linger on her lips.

      "Like you're walking to your death," he commented with a growing frown.

      "What do you care?" Anomie asked, shaking her head.