Shirayuri

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
____________
–•–

      KAKASHI NEVER THOUGHT HE WOULD FALL IN LOVE

      KAKASHI NEVER THOUGHT HE WOULD FALL IN LOVE. It had always seemed so improbable that he concluded it would be troublesome to try. He thought that love would take up too much time that could be spent doing literally anything else. Even Rin's crush on him had made him stressed and he hadn't even returned it. So when he realized that what he felt for Anomie had been love, Kakashi thought that he had hit rock bottom. Still, if that had been at the rocks, this had to be something worse and far more painful. Everything he ever feared about letting someone into his life had come true with just one crazy woman and now he no longer say her name out loud. He feared that letting those dormant feelings of affection out from the locks he had placed around them, he would never be able to move on with even simple tasks without longing for a person that obviously did not feel the same way.

      The morning was crisp and fresh with the morning dew, and he could stand and wish that the names of friends would remove from the stone. He wished he could go back in time and sit by Rin and Obito and Anomie once again in bliss with the innocence of youth that he selfishly took advantage of when he was younger.

      If he had known, he would have been faster, smarter. Perhaps Rin would still be alive if he had been stronger. Perhaps Obito would be alive if he had been able to throw away his pride. He tried not to think about the what if's, but they always came back to haunt him.

      He didn't know what he might have done differently had he known Anomie's dark future. In fact, he doubted anything would have changed her fate. There was violence in her that was insatiable. But even knowing what he knew now, he would still find a way to fall in love with her.

      He may hate everything she's done, be disgusted with everything she says half the time, appalled by her lack of empathy, and the spark may have faded, but he knew it was forever. There still remained the memory of the way she held him, and when she cared, she cared with her entire being, as much of it as she knew how to give. When she wanted to do something, she didn't stop or waver until she could. In fact, she rose to be on a near-equal footing in a year of training with people who had been training nearly their whole lives. This was not only because of a Kekkei Genkai that gave her an advantage but because she didn't rest until she achieved what she wanted. He loved all those things, but he could live without her if he tried.

      But fate and chance had a way to come back to test him. He turned around at the new presence, noticing a woman with white hair and pink eyes. For a moment, she nearly looked like Anomie, as she once was. However, he had yet to meet a woman who matched Anomie's unrivaled beauty. Anomie's beauty was never something Kakashi looked at most. If he were that shallow, he'd be able to get her off his fucking mind.