Topanga

Mayas POV

I wake up the next day to the sound of my alarm at 6:45 am and press snooze right away.

"Just 10 more minutes" I say to myself. I fall back half-asleep, and a few minutes later, I hear my mom come into my room. "Maya!! Get up! You're going to be late for school! Geez, I woke you up an hour ago! Anyways, I'm leaving. I probably won't be home until late tonight."

I drift back to sleep. In what seems life only a few minutes later, my alarm goes off again. 7:00 am! I'm late! I rush out of bed and get dressed as quickly as possible. I rush to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my hair. When looking in the mirror, I see a spot on my skirt. Right where you don't want a spot. I realize what it is, and start to cry. My mom is gone, I'm home alone, and I have no idea how to deal with my first period. It's now 7:10. I usually go to the Matthews house at this time. I realize that I actually have to go to school, so I sloppily put my hair up in a bun, and pack my backpack. Even though I didn't go to her house in the morning yesterday, and we are fighting, I decide to go to Riley's. I need help.

I don't know what I'm going to do when I get there. Will she even let me inside? Riley hasn't gotten hers yet. Not that I want to talk to her though. I'm freaking out. I can't go to school if I don't have any supplies. I'm going to have to tell someone. But who? It's now 7:20, and I crawl into the open bay window quietly, trying not to disturb the Matthews who are eating breakfast. I wonder why Riley left the window open? I thought she would lock it so I couldn't get in. I hear Topanga take Auggie to his room to get dressed, and this makes me sad. I wish I had a mother who I could talk to and be there for me. I sit in Riley's bay window and think. This day has already been too much. I realize I'm going to have to ask Topanga for help.

Then I hear Riley walk into the room. "Maya! What are you doing here? Get out, please. I don't want to talk to someone who doesn't trust me," she says while pointing to the window I came in from.

I say with a straight face "please, just get Topanga. i won't bother you."

"Maya, you can't just walk in here and demand to see my mom. I need an explanation!"

"Riley, PLEASE, get your Mom." I beg.

Riley looks angry. "There you go, not telling me anything, again! Whatever Maya." But she walks out and calls Topanga. I hear whispers in the hallway, and a few minutes later, Topanga comes in and sits on the bed beside me. She pulls me into a long, motherly hug.

"Maya, honey, I missed seeing you yesterday. What's wrong?" She asks, running her fingers through my hair.

"Mrs. Matthews....Topanga.. I don't know how to tell you."

She takes my hand in her hand. "Maya. You can trust me. I can help you. I promise."

"Don't tell Riley.. Or anyone else Topanga. I don't want anybody to know okay?" I say while still shaken from what is happening.

"Of course" Topanga says, looking into my eyes, trying to find answers.

"I.. I.. started today. This morning." I lean over an whisper in her ear, "my period".

Topanga relaxes, but I start to cry. "Honey, it's nothing to worry about! Here, follow me and I can help you."

She gives me another big hug until I calm down, then takes my hand and leads me into the bathroom.

She pulls open a drawer and shows me the supplies I'm supposed to use.

"Has your mom told you anything about how to use these?" Topanga asks.

I shake my head hopelessly.

Topanga then gently explains to me how to use everything, then walks out of the bathroom to let me try.

I hear whispers outside the bathroom door. I hope Topanga isn't telling everybody what's happening. She promised me she wouldn't.

I finish up and wash my hands, then slowly walk out of the bathroom.

"Did.. Did you tell them what happened?" I ask, concerned.

"Of course not, hun. I told them that you wouldn't be coming to school today, and that I would stay home with you. How does that sound? A girls day out to relax and celebrate!"

I answer by hugging her. "Thank you so much".

----Several hours later----

Today was super fun and refreshing. Topanga made me a wonderful breakfast and then we talked and talked while coloring. Then she took me out to lunch to a cute little cafe. We them ended the day by watching a movie. When the movie finished Riley came in through the front door.

I realize she's going to ask a lot of questions.

She gives me a look that says "bay window".

Here we go.