Chapter Seven: Trolls?

Night had descended over the company, the cool breeze passing through the forgotten farm house and over grown pasture, the fire blazing bright with the dwarves huddled around for supper. For once it was peaceful, Ella mused to herself in the shadow of the trees on the old fence, observing the group. Before the sun had fell behind the mountains, Thorin had demanded that his nephews would watch the ponies for the night, not caring how begrudging they were about it.

So she sat watching as Bilbo carry two bowls of soup into the tree line to the left side of her where the ponies where gathered, after following Artrios when the saddles were removed. To this hour she watched the hobbit pace and fret about Gandalf's sudden departure, more like leave him to a pack of snarling wolves then a company of dwarves that had brushed him off.

Sighing through her nose, Ella bowed her head before lifting her eyes up, A dangerous and threatening look to make sure the dwarves would think she was not in the mood for their snotty comments or jests. but that didn't stop the hobbit earlier.

"um, Lady Ella," Bilbo questioned upon his approach, watching wearily as the girl lift her head to look up at him, her white eyes shimmering in the darkness, "I was wondering if you knew when Gandalf returned."

"Gandalf has a mind of his own, dear Bilbo, Leaving when he wants to even in the worst of times," she stated with a wry smile. His hopeful expression had dropped at her words, "but he will come back. In his own sweet time. that's what makes him frustrating I guess."

"I see, well, thank you, lady Ella," he ran his palms over his jacket before giving a short bow that made her snort in amusement.

"Lady? My dear master Baggins, I am anything but," she bemused as her eyes glistened in amusement. He blinked before giving a quirk of his lips. But that had been hours ago, And now all she could blink at was two panic ridden dwarvish princes. She raised her arms out of the way as they stumbled in front of her, it was almost comical; the three of them.

"We need, your help," Kili gasped between his breaths, after running back to the camp, Ella raised an eyebrow at them in confusion. He stood from being bent over and glanced at his brother who wasn't in a much better state, rolling his eyes, Kili turned back to the huntress, "Trolls have been taking the ponies, Bilbo's trying to get them back."

'Beware of the trees, my dear.'

Gandalf's words rang through her mind as she stared at the two, then her eyes flickered to the tree line where Bilbo had gone through and where they had erupted from. Then her eyes went over to the dwarves that sat no further than a few meters.

"Something tells me he didn't go in willingly," she accused with a raised eyebrow, the two had flushed in shame as they bowed their heads to avoid her harsh stare. Oh, For the love of the great king! She sighed in frustration, pinching the bridge of her nose, "why not go to Thorin?"

"He'll gut us!" Kili seethed under his breathe and Fili scoffed in agreement. So they came to her as a last resort, well that's comforting. Her face showed her irritation, they braced for her refusal, then she released her breathe.

"Fine, I'll go help. But!," She began, cutting them off when they grinned in relief, her finger pointed at the two of them in warning, "You go tell Thorin and the others."

"Are you mad?"

Ella ignored their hissing as she stood, placing her belt back on, Kili's eyes fell to the quiver attacked belt on her left thigh then to the two blades sitting on either side. So many weapons, much like his own brother who had only swords or knives. it only dawned on him how deadly this woman was. The ferocity in her gaze when she looked over her shoulder, daring them to defy her. Then she was gone. Shadows slithered over her back as she faded into the forest, her footsteps silent. Being yanked out of his daze, Kili ran after his brother to the old farmhouse, bracing himself for his uncle's wrath.