Chapter 34

Asher didn't show up to school the next day, nor the day after that, or the one after that. Days turned into weeks that he didn't show up. Haley had called him on the phone daily, and each time he answered, acting like nothing and happened. That was a relief - I thought for a few days that Clayton had killed him. Haley informed me he had transferred to homeschooling, and that his mom had insisted on the transfer.

"Something about wanting him to stay on the right path through his high school years," Haley explained. I almost scoffed. What a lie. I had to admit, though, it was a pretty good one. I did believe that he transferred to home schooling, though. I wondered what he had told his mom. Clearly, whatever it was, it was enough to persuade her. Haley was totally bummed, however, because that meant that they couldn't see each other as much. I figured that was best, but I couldn't force myself tell her why, so I kept that to myself. "We're going to be hanging out tomorrow after school," she smiled, clasping her hands together, daydreaming.

"Haley," I stated slowly. Was I really going to do this? Did I really have the nerve to tell her the truth about Asher? I swallowed. "There's something I need to tell you."

"Oh, really?" She looked confused and worried.

"It's about..." My voice cracked. "A-Asher." Haley gasped, realizing it was something serious.

"What happened?" Her eyes were the size of dinner plates. I calmed myself, telling myself that if she was a true friend, she'd believe me. Haley was my only friend left - I had rapidly been drifting away from the rest of them. The only ones I had left were Haley and Clayte, and Clayte was just confusing all together.

"He...he tried to make a, uh," I forced my mouth shut. I couldn't do this - not now, not ever. "He tried to make a cake and it didn't work out." I lied, and then immediately forced a smile. She exhaled deeply and sighed in relief. On the outside, I was smiling and saying things like, "Gotcha!" and laughing as if it was some joke to scare her, while on the inside, I was swallowing back that lump in my throat and ignoring the burn of my eyes as I did not let the tears fall. When I was convinced she'd bought my lame alibi, I hurried to get to the bathroom so I could let all my emotions out.

On the way there, the tears welled up in my eyes. My eyes were stinging and my vision was blurry, which explained why I bumped into a tall, sturdy figure. I blushed, figuring I'd just ran into a pole. How embarrassing. "Abby?" It said, looking down at me with a concerned face. So it wasn't a pole. It was Clayton. Great.

"Uh, no. I am Rachel," I said in a weird voice that wasn't mine. Shielding my face, I attempted to hurry off. I didn't want him to ask what was wrong. Sure, I wanted him to care - but I didn't want to have to explain.

"Well, Rachel, you look a lot like my friend." Clayte grinned, gripping my arm. He spun me around to face him. My face grew red as his grin vanished. He immediately looked worried. "Oh, no, Abby. Whats wrong?"

"Nothing," I murmured, trying to walk away. Clayte gently placed his hand on my side, gracefully pulling me back. I must admit, I liked the feel of his hand on my side, but now was not the time.

"Come on, Abby. You can tell me anything." He bit his lip, looking concerned for my feelings. Those blue eyes of Clayte's stared into mine with a delicate, caring look. Clayte truly seemed to care, just as Tanner had. In fact, Tanner kind of gave me the same kind of look - only Clayte's seemed more genuine. How was that? Tanner was the more ideal choice of a boyfriend, yet the way Clayte looked at me with worry in his eyes - telling me he cared - was more genuine. How was it that - ...No, I mused. No, no, no. You will not compare Clayte to Tanner. They are so different in so many ways. But then again, were they really? The both of them were sweet, had a delicate touch, and they seemed to be the only two people who cared about me. But still - Clayte was a player, and Tanner was more of an ideal boyfriend who was strictly considered a one-girl-at-a-time guy who could stay in a great relationship for a long time. Clayte, on the other hand, not so much. But that could change. Which reminded me, I had a question for Clayte. "Abby?" Clayte's voice pried me away from my thoughts. "What's wrong?"

"Why do you still allow the company of your little fan club of girls?" I blurted out. This was the very question that made me doubt Clayte would change. This was the very question that could Chang whatever relationship Clatye and I could ever possibly have.

"I try to keep them away, I swear, but they keep coming back and back and back." He paused, looking pained. "I know it doesn't seem like I try, but I really do."

"Oh yeah? How is it that you try?" I shot at him, wiping away a tear angrily.

"I tell them to stay away. Abby, I've received death threats. I've been told that by girls I don't date them, that they will brutally murder me. I have to gradually pry them away. I don't want to be killed - its scary." Was this true? Did girls really say these things? I began to feel guilty for my accusations.

"Are you serious?" I inquired, speaking slowly.

"I wouldn't lie, Abby. I would never lie to you, and I never have." His expression was dead-serious. "Abby, I've even tried telling them I love somebody else." My breath caught in my throat. Why wouldn't he lie to me, if he would lie to the other girls? Was I the one that he loved? No, of course not! He just said that to keep them away.

"O-oh," I stammered. "You...you have?"

"Yeah," he nodded, stepping towards me. "I told them I love you." Clayte paused to close the distance between our bodies. "And that isn't a lie." Before I could respond, he wrapped his arms around my waist. The touch of his hands on my body felt electric. He tilted his head down towards me, and slowly pressed his soft lips against mine.