Chapter 1

I didn't like bats. Their weird little bodies and ugly faces freaked me out. But, there was one in my kitchen and I knew it wasn't going to get  rid of itself. I grabbed a broom and put a salad bowl on my head, flattening my fluffy red hair. I didn't want the bat flying into it. I slowly made my way back to the kitchen. The bat was still flying around, squeaking loudly. The noise sent shivers down my spine and the hair on the back of my neck stood straight up. I gulped, utterly disgusted by this point I might add, but still I pressed onward towards the small creature. It flew past me so fast my eyes could barely stay on it. I clamped my eyes shut and swung the broom, bristle first, at the bat. I heard a loud screech of pain. I opened my eyes to see the bat, squirming around on the floor. The phone rang just as I was about to cover the flying rodent with a shoe box.
     I checked the caller ID. It was my mother. A little hesitantly, I answered the phone. My mother had dementia, so every time we spoke nowadays, she seemed to always forget things. "Theodore!" She sounded extremely happy to know I picked up.
"It's just Teddy now. Or Theo. Whatever." I answered, now regretting talking to her this way.
"Oh? I'm sorry, Teddy!"
"It's ok...."
"Anyway, I was just wondering how college was going for you!" I rolled my eyes.
"I already graduated, remember?"
"You have? But you're only 19, sweetie!"
"I'm 24, mom......" There was an awkward silence.
"I must have forgot....."
"It's ok mom..."
"How is your sister?" She was talking about Lily, my sister. To be honest I had no idea how she was doing. I haven't seen her since she went to Romania.
"She's fine, mom." I said, not wanting her to worry.
"Ok, good. I haven't seen her in a while. Come to think of it I haven't even HEARD from her in a long time!" My eyes widened a little. What could my sister be doing that she hasn't even SPOKEN to our mother? How inconsiderate of her!
"Really? That's so unlike her!"
"I know, I hope she's ok and not in trouble out there......." And then it hit me, like a bus. The churning of my stomach told me that something was wrong. I started to feel worried. Lily was seas away.......anything could've happened to her really. "I would feel better if you went to go check on her. I'll pay for your passport even! I know you don't like to travel.......I just want to know my baby is ok!" The words spilled from my throat before I could even process them.
"I'll go!" A hand immediately went over my mouth. 'Oh my god I'm so dumb....' I thought.
"Thank you Theodore.......I'm sorry! Teddy...I'll send the passport over to you. Hopefully it won't take too long......call me when you get there!"
"I will......love you bye."
"Bye, Teddy Bear! I love you too!" I hung up.