Chapter 2

The bat made a few noises, which caused me to remember it. I hurried over to it, getting a paper plate and sliding it under the shoe box. I picked it up and slowly walked to the door. It was lightly raining outside. There were absolutely no signs of life aside for a few dog barks. As I kneeled, setting the box down, rain gently pattered on the salad bowl that rested on top of my head. I pulled the paper plate from under the bat, it making yet another loud, shrill noise. I lifted the box and took off the salad bowl, realizing I looked ridiculous. The bat started to moved away from me. It fell off the top step of the porch as I stood up, turning to go back inside. 'Romania is a long way away.........' I thought, grabbing a Pepsi from my fridge and cracking it open. My feet instinctively walked to the couch. I took a sip of my Pepsi and stared blankly at the wall. I was going to Romania! 'There better be cute girls or I'm leaving.....' I laughed at myself a little.
    A few days later it was lightly raining again. I was in my room, packing my bags for my flight the next day. I can admit I was a bit nervous about the flight, and about what would happen when I got there. I had no idea where Lily was! She could be on the opposite side of Romania than the one I land in! Nevertheless I have to try to bring her home safe and sound. I rubbed the back of my head anxiously. I laid down on my bed and stared at the ceiling until I eventually fell asleep. It was early still but it would be a long flight and I had to get up early.
    "CRAP I SLEPT IN!" I scrambled out of bed and quickly got dressed. I left the house with a toothbrush in my mouth and got into my car. My alarm clock is notorious for failing to go off as it should each morning.  I drove frantically to the airport and nearly missed my exit. The parking lot was surprisingly barren so I parked in the front.  I knew I wouldn't see my car for a while.
My suitcase wheeled behind me as a rushed to my gate, gate 12. The airport wasn't busy, luckily, so I didn't have to wait in lines. I sat in a seat by the gate until they started to board the plane.
     A woman with an infant sat next to me. She had brown hair and she looked extremely tired, yet happy. The child in her arms was sleeping soundly but I knew it would cry some time during the flight. "Hi." Her voice was soothing and quiet.
"Hello! Are you going to Romania as well?"
"Yes......business. You?"
"Family issues." I shrugged. The lady smiled a little.
"Family man, huh? I respect that........" Before I could reply, she stood. The plane started to board. I followed behind her as we boarded the plane. "What seat are you sitting in?" She turned so I was no longer looking at the back of her brown haired, head.
"38B."
" I'm in 37B!" She grinned a bit but her lovely smile soon faded. "I do apologize if he bothers you...." She said, referring to the 8 pound ball of flesh in her arms.
"It's totally fine! I love kids!" Her smile returned.
"Good." We both sat down. I turned my phone on airplane mode and quickly buckled up. "I'm sorry.....but I haven't even asked your name!" She looked at me with doey blue eyes.
"It's Theodore. You can call me Teddy!"
"Ok, Teddy!" She laughed, which was pleasant to hear. "I'm Lorane."
"Nice to meet you!"
     The plane took off. My ears popped and the baby started crying. I guessed his ears popped too. The plane started to move more smoothly. "Where's his dad? If you don't mind me asking!" Lorane looked at me again.
"Timothy's daddy is in heaven. Car accident." My gaze saddened.
"Oh.....I'm so sorry.....I-I didn't know-" Lorane put a finger to my lips.
"I know and it's ok. I appreciate your being interested in my life. No one ever listens to my stories......." She gently rocked her kid, smiling.
"I can't imagine why.......you're so pleasant to listen to...." A faint blush appeared on our cheeks.
"Thank you, Teddy......"
The rest of the plane ride, we talked. About each other. About our homes. Our families. I found myself getting more and more interested in what she had to say. Sometimes I even begged her to keep talking, just to hear her voice