Chapter Seventeen

Colbie moved and opened the door, looking down the hallway. She clutched the shard and it cut her palm, blood running down her arm to her elbow and onto the floor. It was silent except for the sound of the blood splashing against the concrete.

Something in Colbie's mind screamed at her to stop and she froze for a few seconds before shaking her head. She was starting to get a headache. The voice was snuffed out by someone else's voice, commanding her to walk.

"Go, Colbie."

Colbie moved and stopped at Ruby's door. Her hand rested on the knob and she turned it softly, seeing Ruby snoring on her bed. Colbie felt the malicious grin curl over her face as she hovered over Ruby's sleeping body.

She was so innocent. So stupid. This is would be poetic justice--revealing that yes, she would betray them. They had thought correctly. It was a bit funny that way.

"Stop! She's my teammate--my friend!"

Colbie flinched, looking down at Ruby. Her eyes flickered from amber to blue before it held their amber color. What was going on? She felt uncertainty at what she was doing flood through her senses. Then, it was shooed out once more with the feeling of triumph. She'd show them. Ruby first, and then the others.

Colbie rose the glass shard over her body, moving Ruby's head up to make a clean cut on her skin. A squeak and Colbie glanced over to the strange bat, ears lowered. She wasn't sure what to do with it.

Its eyes seemed to hold affection for this body, and Colbie sneered at it instead. The bat wasn't affected.

"Kill the bat. It'll wake Ruby up."

Colbie nodded and spun around, grabbing the bat's wing. It squeaked, flashing rapid colors. It seemed to know that Colbie wasn't Colbie and bit her hand.

Colbie bit her lip to keep from howling in pain and threw the bat away on the floor, watching it slump over. She grinned, ready to kick at the bat. Her foot rose into the air, and halfway through the motion, her muscles seemed to freeze by force.

"Don't touch her! I have a job to do to protect my team and she's a part of it!"

Colbie looked down to Kiwi and opened her mouth, eyes flickering once again. They held the blue color for a short second longer before sinking back to amber. She dropped her foot and decided to just go after Ruby. If the bat didn't bother her, then there was no need to kill it.

"I have to protect them, even if they don't believe me. Please, stop!" A female voice was begging now, echoing throughout Colbie's head. She blinked and one eye was now blue, the other the same, hazy amber. She touched her left cheek as if she would gorge it out her amber eye before dropping her hand.

Ruby shifted and turned her back toward Colbie, unaware of the hovering girl. Blood was dripping onto the pink covers and staining them crimson.

"Protect them?" Colbie repeated. She turned her head back to the sleeping girl.She felt as if two people in her head were fighting constantly. Someone had to be winning, though. She stepped back, hearing the bat squeak louder and louder.

Ruby lifted herself up, eyes still half-shut as she scanned around her room. "Who's there?" she slurred, rubbing at her eyes.

Colbie's head echoed with two different commands at the same time.

"Kill her! Kill her now!"

"No! Don't touch her!"

Colbie grabbed her head and groaned, dropping the shard onto the floor. She was so confused--voices echoed in her head constantly, contradicting one another. Blood ran down her face from the cut on her palm, smearing on her face and down her arm.