Chapter Twenty-six

"Noooo!" she screamed. "NO!"

She went for her gun immediately but could not get to it. Josef was double tapped in the upper right shoulder, and the shots had either broken it or rendered his shooting arm useless.

The impact completely spun him around and he hit the floor, but Josef was tough. He immediately reached for his Glock with his left hand, but before he could make the switch the captor kicked him hard in the shoulder and then in his head. She screamed for the Romanians and fought hard to get loose of her captor's grip, but he maintained tight control of her. She hip checked him with all her might and stomped his foot hard as he shot three more rounds towards Josef's back. She wasn't sure how many of the rounds connected, but after that he was still.

Romanians started to appear everywhere but the bastard now had the gun to her head. They all stood back.

"Don't get crazy," he said. "Do you know who I am? You may not, but this little girl is pretty insignificant compared to me. I am the #2 guy! You are here because there's about to be a transfer of power. You know El Jefe? Ever heard of him? I am his main enforcer!"

The Romanians had their guns on him, but showed no emotion and simply listened intently. He continued to hold her as a human shield. She glanced at Josef as often as she could and he was still on the ground and not moving.

"El Jefe is #1. The undisputed #1 in the cartel. And he is here in town to hand over power. And who do think it will be to? Aren't you sick of babysitting and celebrities and Instagram? Just let me take her and leave and you'll be done with it. You'd better let me go!" He was shaking and had his finger on the trigger. He meant it.

The Romanians were collectively expressionless, but did not look like they were about to let that happen. And then she spoke up, "Let him take me, please see to Stacy. Tend to Josef. Do you hear me?? Let us go!"

And with that the Romanians all put their guns down a bit and let him take her right out the front door.

She cried real tears now but silently. She would not give him the satisfaction of making her cry if she could help it, and she would definitely make him pay for this. As he started to load her into the car she bit her lip hard and thought there are worse things than death. And I will see to it. That was the last thing she remembered.

And now here she was waking up in a damp stone room. It was like a dungeon almost- it reminded her some of Prague when she and The Husband had toured the Roman underground around the Astrological clock. She knew Dubrovnik was an ancient city, dating maybe from the 6th or 7th century? There would be a lot of dark places and her immediate intel would not be very helpful to narrow her location down. But as her head started to slowly come back into focus she heard techno music... was this Revelin?

When Josef and crew took her on a tour of the city a couple days earlier they showed her the city wall and all the city's strongholds. She remembered Josef going into great detail about Fortalesa de Revelin and how it was built to defend the eastern city gate. These days they had concerts and even a night club inside.

She wasn't sure how many clubs were here in town, but odds were that there weren't many that were inside stone fortresses. So he hadn't been able to leave town with her, and that meant he had a whole lot of angry coming with his name on it. And they were close.

She was slumped in a corner with her hands behind her back. They were most likely zip tied she thought, as they were pulled very tight and she was supremely uncomfortable. Her head was pounding as well, and she didn't remember being hit or going down but assumed she took the butt of a gun behind her ear as she was loaded into the car. Just like him, she thought. A complete coward. As a cartel enforcer he definitely had a real penchant for violence but this time it seemed that he quit just short of getting himself into a situation he knew El Jefe would not tolerate.