Chapter Five

Jax

Meeting Taryn was completely by accident. I skipped school and had gone to a café and saw her, I sat on the table next to her and struck up a conversation with her. She said that she was looking for her brother who her auntie and uncle had to give up because they couldn’t cope with him and Taryn. She had been searching for him ever since she knew that he existed and she had only just found out where his orphanage was, it was the same one that I went to. I asked her what her brother’s name was and she said Jax.

  I invited her over when I told her that I’m her brother and she stopped crying and hugging me. She was so excited to see the family that I was living with and I was excited for her to meet them too. I was waiting for them all to come home in my room and had shown her my finished painting of Kiera.

  “Is that your girlfriend?” She asked, smiling and looking at it.

  “No, she has a boyfriend but she’s beautiful and wonderful in every way.” Taryn instantly knew that I loved her. When I heard Autumn and Kiera yelling downstairs I told Taryn to stay in my room and ran downstairs to see what was going on, I had got there just in time to here Kiera say that she loved me back. I really wanted Taryn to meet her and I was hoping that everything would be okay when she did.

“She is beautiful!” Taryn exclaimed and hugged Kiera so tight that her eyes nearly popped out of her sockets when she finally let go Kiera was so flustered that she didn’t know what to say. “You guys make such a cute couple.”

  “I’m glad,” I said and noticed Kiera staring at the painting that I did of her.

  “Oh my gosh…” She finally said and walked towards it. “Is that me? Did you really draw me? Answer the first question first.”

  “Yes it’s you and I really did draw you, I drew it after I came back from your place,” I admitted and she smiled so brightly and I saw tears in her eyes.

  “You’re amazing.”

  “Of course he is, he’s got the Laurel gene,” Taryn said and pinched his cheek.

  “Jax Laurel?” I said and laughed. “That sounds awesome being a part of the Laurel family must be great.”

  “Yeah, Kylie and Nick are great and really kind, you’re gonna love living with us.” It felt like my heart was in my throat.

  “You can’t move,” Kiera barely said, I looked down at her and saw that she was staring up at me too. “Please don’t leave.”

  “I won’t, I can’t live with you, Taryn,” I said and her face fell.

  “What?!”

  “I can’t leave Kiera or Autumn or Suzanne or Mum or Dad,” I said and saw the side of Kiera’s mouth tug and assumed that it was sort of a smile.

  “Mum or Dad? They’re not your parents they are people desperate to have children and you are a victim of their so-called kindness.”

  “Why are you being like this, Taryn? I can still visit you but I’ve been here for a while and I like it,” I said and she pinched her temple.

“You are my brother who I have been looking for since I was 13, 4 years!” She yelled and turned to face Kiera who was looking at the floor and shaking a bit. “This is clearly your fault if you hadn’t been such a whore he would have lived with me.”

  “I’m fed up of your shit, Taryn!” I yelled and pushed her back.

  “I’m your sister and you should listen to me!” She yelled back and kicked my desk chair in rage.