Chapter Six

He was not my brother. My brother died along with my parents when I was little, he couldn’t be my brother as that did not make sense.

  As soon as my grandma pulled me inside I asked her why she had done that.

  “You can’t go around kissing your siblings, it is a sin,” She said and was about to walk away until I grabbed her arm, digging my fingernails into her arm.

  “What do you mean kissing my siblings?” I spat out like it was dirt. “Jax is not my brother, my brother died.”

  “That’s what we told you because he’s just like your father, a disgrace,” She said and pulled her arm away from me, giving me an ashamed look. “You kissed your brother that is vile, go wash your mouth out with soap!”

  “No! Fuck off!” I yelled and she gasped. “What? You think I don’t swear all the time like every other teenager?”

  “You used to be so sweet until he came into your life! He is ruining you!” By this time my granddad had heard the yelling and had come into the room. “Tell her that she cannot see Jax!”

  “I’m staying out of this,” Granddad said and left the room in record breaking speed.

  “Why didn’t you tell me that he’s my brother?! It could have saved so much time and it would have stopped me kissing him!” I screamed and felt so embarrassed and ashamed of what I had done.

“Why didn’t you let him stay with us?”

  She sighed. “You wouldn’t understand.”

  “Really? I wouldn’t understand? Grandma, he got bullied physically and verbally for all the time that he was in the care home how is that fair?”

  “Do you know what his Dad did to my daughter?” She asked and I rolled my eyes.

  “Our Dad, he was my Dad as well,” I said and she laughed at me. “Why are you laughing? You’re being a complete ass.”

  “Don’t call me that,” She said and stopped laughing. “Jackson’s Dad cheated on your mother while she was pregnant with you and that’s what they were arguing about when HE crashed the car, killing both of them.”

  “How do you know?”

  “Because I was there in the crash and I protected you and your brother, I saved your life and I expect you to be grateful,” She replied.

  “I wouldn’t have mind dying if it meant that I would spend the majority of my life away from my brother!”

  “Jackson does not count as your brother!” She yelled and I smirked.

  “Well, that means that I can date him,” I said and she tried to say something against this but failed. I watched her face crumple and tears fall from her eyes and didn’t feel an ounce of pity for her.

The next day I went to school and hoped that I didn’t see Jackson, I didn’t want to face him and have all the feelings I had for him come back.

  “Hey, have you heard the news?” Autumn asked when she saw me, I nodded glumly and she gave me a hug. “I’m glad that he found his sister and that she’s awesome anyway.”

  “Who are you talking about? I’m not awesome, I’m a coward and I can’t even tell you that I’m actually a complete nerd but that doesn’t matter anymore because I feel like a total fool,” I mumbled.

  “You’re not a fool and I knew that you’re a nerd the whole time, I mean, you make Star Wars references all the time,” She said, laughing.