CHAPTER 9 A DIFFERENT PHILIP

CHAPTER 9

A DIFFERENT PHILIP

"There you go, Leylah. It's going to be just fine." her mother's voice as she fastened the white veil 's edge on its' opposite side just above the ear to cover Leylah's face. She was trying to comfort her daughter but Leylah's eyes mirrored the fear she was feeling inside. "If only I could go to the service on your behalf, you know I would, my child." her mother added then kissed her.

Leylah walked through the passageway at a very slow pace. She doesn't want to go to the Masters' place because of the different veil she was wearing. She has reached the end of the passageway, leading to the woods as she inhaled deeply, held her breath for a moment then went out. She saw the other ladies from afar.That group of women wearing the same veil. Blue. She saw Sister Therese's graceful face became worried.

"Why is thou veil white, Leylah?" she asked as she lightly touched Leylah's veil.

"Forgive me Sister, but I lost it?" Leylah replied. Natalie came near her. She was as worried as Sister Therese.

"Poor child. The valet will be back on Sunday. Maybe you should stay away from the High Priest's table so he won't be able to notice you." Sister Therese reminded. "Are your wounds healed already?" she held her hands and looked at her palms.

"Yes Sister." her short answer.

"Okay now.. Let's go."

The servants followed her.

Leylah and Natalie took their pose. Leylah held her favorite blue amphora as they stood in front of the Law students' table. Natalie was asking Leylah about the veil and how it got lost. But she opted to keep quiet. She doesn't want to lie to Natalie. Soon the refectory was filled with the Masters. Philip came in. Smiling as usual.

"Oh, there he is." Natalie whispered. "Look at him Leylah, he is looking at you. What's with him? He hasn't taken his eyes off you." Natalie added.

What's with him... He is looking at me. But why? Leylah pondered.

Philip never took his eyes off Leylah. After the orison, Philip immediately took a spoonful of rice. He hasn't swallowed it yet when he raised his hand.

"Leylah, go to him." Natalie whispered as she gave her a nudge. "He's looking at you."

Leylah walked jittery as she approached Master Philip. He was grinning at her. His dimples appeared on his pinkish cheeks. Leylah's hands were shaking as she poured water in his glass. It was only halfway filled when Philip took the glass and drank the water. He placed it back on the table, raised his hand partially then wiggled his fingers, signalling Leylah to fill the glass again. She was confused yet, she filled the glass once more. She was trying to move with caution so as not to spill the water again. Philip took the glass of the student beside him and asked Leylah to fill it. Then....

"Thank you, kind servant." he said in a very low voice, just enough for Leylah to hear. He was waiting for her to talk back, but she never did. Leylah bowed her head, then left.

The same thing happened during lunch and dinner. Master Philip raised his hand, he was looking at Leylah and was wiggling his fingers. Leylah doesn't want to come near him again, but there was this magical "thing" that was pushing her towards him. She saw that smile again. That look on his face... that is making Leylah's heart to beat faster.

Leylah..stay calm. Don't let him affect you. He is just teasing, because you are the only odd girl. Leylah was trying to convince herself.