CHAPTER 11 THE SERVANT SERVED HER SERVANT

CHAPTER

THE SERVANT SERVED HER SERVANT

Leylah came early to the service that Monday morning. She had experienced the saddest visit to her glen yesterday. Although she has regained possession of her blue veil, what Philip did almost cost him his life. She has been thinking too hard that she didnt noticed Natalie's arrival.

"Hey, Ley! You have your blue veil back. Where did you find it?" Natalie asked then sat beside her on the concrete stairs of the dormitorium's front porch.

"In the backyard, in my mother's garden." she answered. She never elaborated her answer. She doesn't want to lie to Natalie, yet she couldn't tell her the truth. She doesn't want to endanger the life of her only friend nor her family. They had been very kind to them especially to her mother eversince her father's death. Although they were from another captive tribe they became close since they were living in the same hamlet.

"Oh Leylah, I'm glad you found your veil. The valet got sick and was not able to make it." Sister Therese's calm voice. She has arrived. "By the way, I'm sorry I came late." she added. She was addressing that to all the servants who were preparing already for the service. They gathered and went near her. "Yesterday, a student, in the name of Philip went for a swim in the river. It was unfortunate that according to him the current was so strong then that he was swept by the water and was carried until he reached the forbidden part of the river. That is the part when the river shallows and turns into a stream. He said that a strong wind blew as he heard a moaning voice.He never saw the Naiad because he lost consciousness after hearing the sound. When he woke up, he was already at the riverside near the woods. He was able to return here but his condition is not good. He is very, very ill." Sister Therese shook her head. The worried looks on her face only proved how serious Philip's condition has become. After hearing what Sister Therese said Leylah became worried. "God I want to go to him now to take care of him." Leylah was praying. She knew that Philip's story wasn't true but what troubled her was Philip's condition. Leylah stood in front of Sister Therese waiting for her to speak further.
"So follow me..." Sister Therese said. Leylah was walking in a daze. The thoughts of Philip's condition has affected her.

The servants went inside while Sister Therese stood beside the door outside the refectory. Leylah was the last servant in line to go in when Sister Therese held her hand, then pulled the knob to close the door. They were left outside. "Forgive me Sister but why are we out here?" Leylah asked Sister Therese. "You go to Master Philip's room. He can't go down here to have breakfast. Go to the kitchen, get the breakfast they prepared for him then take it to his room. His room number is 204..." Sister Therese took a piece of paper from her habit's pocket then showed it to Leylah. "This is what number 204 looks like." she added pointing to the number written. Leylah nodded she was pretending that it was the first time she encountered seeing numbers.

Leylah went to the kitchen to get Philip's breakfast. She was still worried as she hurried climbing the stairs to get to the second level of the dormitorium where Philip's room was located.

She walked through the hallway staring at every door. "201..202..203..204" she murmured. Leylah knocked at his door. Her heart was beating fast again. "Come in..." she heard a dull voice from inside. Leylah took a deep breath, turned the knob to open the door then went in. She placed the tray on the study table just a few steps from the door. She never raised her head because she doesn't want to see his condition.

"You're not just going to stand there, right?" he said as he tried getting up from his bed. He knew that it was Leylah. It was his special request to Sister Therese.