Chapter 4

"Aiden couldnt find any opened long-term rooms, so I ended up staying with a man who goes by Aiden. There is no sign of the traitor. I will set out in the city to search." I recorded my message and sent it to the council.

The fact that I met Aiden on his death day, still runs through my mind. When he stands in front of me, he is strong and healthy. I can't get distracted from my mission.

I walk out of my bedroom or his bedroom for the last time. Aiden found a motel room in Kings for me to stay in. I ruffled my white puffy jacket. I looked at a wall made of windows. The windows revealed the beautiful horizon of New York. I know that the human world celebrates a holiday called Christmas and Aiden invited me to celebrate with him.

Aiden was sitting on the brown leather couch. He handed me a cup of coffee. "You'll need this for your job interview. I'm glad you found a spot to be an intern for a News Reporter. It also pays well. I'm glad you decided out of the actress thing. Do you need me to walk you there?"

"I'm good, and if something happens, I can defend myself." I chuckled knowing I could knock out any human with one punch.

"Ha, ha," he said punching me.

He smirked and handed me the house key. "Don't forget where I live if you ever need me." I looked at the key he handed me, the number of his apartment engraved on it. I would need to do something to thank Aiden for letting me stay with him and eating his food. His jobs don't pay him too much, but he does have a pretty good living. I looked out the window of the skyscraper. The blur of cars and mortals everywhere looked like light colored paints smeared on a canvas. I don't know what or why, but I felt like there was someone near Aiden, I didn't make too big of a deal about it. I waved goodbye and locked his door.

When I got to the building I was going to start working, I was greeted by my new boss and she told me the rules. I smiled and shook my head up and down. I couldnt listen to her because my focus was on finding the traitors. She waved goodbye and walked away.

I turn to my desk to find Ben sitting on top of it with his legs crossed.

Ben is a reaper, but not officially. Not anymore. He abused his powers and his title was stripped from him. We were told that he prevented death to those who were ready. He went rogue just last year. I was still studying, but he was a genius. Sadly, he took the wrong road and now has been shunned by our world. He is or was my best friend.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as he grabbed my wrist. I flinched as I looked around. I looked at him confused.

"Don't look at me like that, you know that I could spot you out in a second." He said still holding onto my wrist. "It's not safe here, especially as a human. What are they making you do?"

He got off my desk still holding my wrist.

He started pulling towards the door. "I am getting you out here"

We ended outside of the building. "Regina, what are you doing here?" he asked again.

"Oh, don't worry, I look like a human to the others right now as I talk to you".

"Look, Ben, you have been corrupted. Someone brainwashed you. " I said firmly back.

He glared at me with his evil eyes. "Do you know why you were sent here?"

"Yes too" he cut me off. "To find the traitors that are supposedly messing up their stupid government system."

"How'd?.."

"

"Regina?" I hear a female voice behind me. Frighten he lets go of me. I shifted my attention around. "Are you okay? Is this man bothering you? I can always take care of him for you." She smiled with a menacing glare focused on him.

"Yea, I'm just catching up with an old friend."

"Okay, get back to work soon," she said walking back into the building, her focus still on Aiden.

I pull my arm up to punch Ben in the face, but when I turned around he was gone. Sighing, I walked back into the building.

My boss was standing at my desk smiling. "You two looks like you've known each other for a while"

"Yea, we've studied in school together".

"You know what, I can already tell you that you are going to be a good intern" she smiled at me.

Later that night in my apartment I hear a knock at my door. "knock knock" I hear Aiden voice.

"I brought food"