Chapter 1

Peter

        I watched as Bix's lifeless body bled into the ocean, and his eyes turned glossy. I felt a tear run down my cheek. Bix had been with me for a long time, I couldn't bear to see him go, especially now. 

       I held my breath and dived under the water. I knew I couldn't show his body to the other lost boys, it would raise too many questions. But, he at least deserved a fair cremation, I wouldn't just let his body rot in the ocean.

        My head breached the surface, using one arm to carry Bix, the other to swim. Although I could fly, I didn't want to. I wanted to take my time this night. I knew I wouldn't have a chance to in the near future.

       As I rowed back to shore, I began to worry about the future. I wasn't oblivious to the ongoings of Neverland, childish as I pretended to be. I knew that the pirates were planning war on the lost boys again, and the mermaids wanted to join them. I knew the Indians were still deciding whether or not to fight, but they seemed like they would fight, and they would fight against the lost boys and I. And I knew the lost boys themselves were divided on whether or not they still trusted me. I knew Tru and Tad were immensely loyal to Cal, who had been like a brother to them. I knew Dave had taken an immediate liking to Bix, who had been loyal to me, and he and Riq would likely follow my lead. Howie was a wildcard, because good and loyal as Howie was to me, he was the same way to Cal. It would likely be the ethics of either side that decided where he stood, and I wondered if he might not choose a side at all. 

        I sighed, feeling each moment and breath heavier than the last. Neverland had been my greatest wonder, the most beautiful creation of such a young angel as I. Now, it seemed a wasteland. Although it was the same in appearance, the very atmosphere of the place had changed. Where there was once laughter and joy, there were now tears and sorrow. I felt a dead weight on my heart. In truth, I had failed Neverland. I had believed that eventually, Cal, Bix, and Max would all join the pirates, the older children always did. It was their chance to grow up. The little tree was for people like Tru, Tad, Howie, and Dex, all the ones who never needed to grow up. Instead, they had all grown up or gone on too soon. I could only imagine the pain they all felt. Even in heaven, Bix would be separated from the love of his life, Max would be feeling the impact of his decisions on Neverland, and Dex would be a child, all alone, because his family was all still alive. I began to feel the tears running down my cheeks. What had I done?