Chapter Twenty Five

~COPYRIGHT 2012~

*Maddi’s POV*

“So what happened?” Leighton asked as she dragged me into her room.

“Your brother and I got together,” I pointed out the obvious.

“I know that! But tell me what happened!”

“Why are you so interested in my relationship with your brother? Isn’t it awkward for you?”

“No, not at all. You two are perfect for one another,” she smiled. “And can’t you tell that I left you two here on purpose?”

“You what?!?”

“I left you home alone with him so that you two could solve your problems!” she giggled. “And it worked!”

I sighed. “You’re impossible.”

“But amazing! I got you the guy you love!”

“Fine, I’ll admit, you’re amazing!” I exclaimed, wrapping my arms around her.

“You’re not going to forget me, are you?” she pouted.

“Nope, Landon and I both spoke about it. We’ll split off days. And plus I would never leave you. You’re my best friend and you’ve gotten me through some tough times. I couldn’t ask for a better best friend,” I said.

“Aww Mads!”

Her bottom lip quivered and she hugged me again. She sniffled into my tee shirt.

“You’re one of the best friends I’ve ever had. You actually care about me and don’t just care about how hot my brother is. You actually want to get to know me.”

“I already know you.”

“Why do I hear crying in here?” Landon’s voice came from the doorway.

I looked up and smiled at him. He grinned back.

“Way to ruin the moment, babe,” I laughed.

“What moment?”

“Our best friend moment, you idiot!” Leighton exclaimed. She picked up a pillow and chucked it at his face. “Now get out!”

“Wait!” I called after him.

“What is it sweetie?” he questioned.

“Can I talk to you for a minute?”

“Sure, come on,” he said.

I followed him out of Leighton’s room and into his room where she wouldn’t be able to hear us. He wrapped his arms around me and held me into his chest.

“What is it?” he wondered.

“What’s going to happen with you and Ms. McDonald?” I asked.

“I’ll break up with her as soon as I get to school tomorrow,” he informed me. “I promise. You’re the only girl I want. I never really wanted her at all.”

“Okay,” I nodded and let go of him.

“You can trust me Mads,” he said, kissing my forehead. “Now go have fun with my sister. Dinner will be ready soon.”

I rolled my eyes. “God, you sound like my parent!”

He awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. “Sorry,” he said sheepishly.

I shook my head, laughing and headed back into Leighton’s room.

*Leighton’s POV*

When Maddi left to talk to Landon, I took that as a chance to call Kale.

“Hey sexy,” he purred, answering the phone.

“We need to tell Maddi,” I said.

“I’m not telling Maddi when she’s hiding something from me, herself!” he responded. “I refuse to tell her I’m dating you until she tells me who she’s dating.”

“Well, uh, you’re not really going to like who she’s dating…” I trailed off.

“You know?!?”

“Yeah, I do a lot more than you know.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing,” I dismissed him.

“What’s his name?” he asked.

“You don’t need to know,” I replied.

“The hell I don’t need to know! She’s my goddamn sister! Tell me Leight!” he screamed.

“No! She’ll tell you when she’s ready!” I shouted.

“And I’ll tell her about us when I’M ready.”

“What if I tell her right now?” I challenged.

“Tell me what?” Maddi’s voice came from in front of me.

“Tell you that…” I started.

“DON’T YOU DARE!” Kale growled into the phone.

I sighed. “Tell you that I need you to tutor me,” I lied.

“That’s a good girl,” Kale cooed. “I’ll talk to you later baby.”

“Yeah, whatever, goodbye,” I said and hung up.

Maddi sat down on my bed and looked at me.

“Why were you embarrassed to tell me you need me to tutor you?” she questioned.

“Cause I was afraid that you’d think I was dumb. You’re so smart compared to me!” I lied, fake whining.

“No I’m not. You’re very smart Leight.”

“Yeah right.”

I don’t think I could stand lying to her much longer. When is Kale going to get the nerve to do it? I couldn’t help but think that he doesn’t want to make our relationship public.

*The Next Morning - Landon’s POV*

I walked into the school, adjusting my tie and clearing my throat. The first place I headed was the teacher’s lounge. Just my luck, Melissa was sitting at the table, reading the newspaper and drinking out of her mug. She looked up when the door closed and smiled when she saw me.

“Hey Landon!” she said cheerily, getting up.

She travelled over to me and looked around, making sure there were no other teachers around. After surveying, she leant in to give me a kiss. I was quick to turn my head so she would catch my cheek. She looked at me funny.

“Are you okay babe?” she wondered.

“I’m sorry Melissa, but I can’t do this anymore,” I said, turning around to leave.

She stopped me though, digging her nails into my skin.

“What do you mean you can’t do this anymore?” she whisper screamed.

“We can’t see one another anymore,” I answered.

“So this is it? You’re leaving me for that whore of a student you have, Madeline Knight?”

“She is not a whore!” I yelled under my breath.

“So you don’t deny it?” she smirked. “Hmm, I bet the principal would love to hear about this one.”

“Don’t you dare hurt her! She’s been hurt enough! Don’t do this just because you’re jealous!”

“Whatever,” she said, stomping out of the room.

I was screwed. How was I going to tell Maddi that Melissa knew?

~COPYRIGHT 2012~