Chapter 19 - Heat Resistant Leggings

It was easy finding out where Olivia lived. I just asked some people, and when they asked why I told them it was secret business with the Jarl and they all seemed to shut up.

I knew Olivia's house was next door to Flora's, but the problem was I didn't remember where Flora's house was. I didn't even think at the time to look and check where it was.

Now I knew where Olivia's old house was, I needed to get inside, which would be easy. Flora had said her brother lived there Roland, when I asked people who he was they all pointed towards the same man who I'd seen in the bar with  Dungas when I had had to kill him for his armor. I just needed to wait for him to go in the bar, break into his house and get the leggings. 

I decided to go and eat something proper from the bar, I had some money on me but I was running out of snacks. I'd been living off pieces of cooked meat that Hyde always made me carry around with me in case I was ever in a situation where I was starving. They had all gone bad now and I hadn't had a proper meal in maybe a week. I hadn't been keeping track of time.

I bought a vegetable soup with some bread, which was 15 gold pieces. The bar was really empty, probably because of the time of day. I wondered why they we're even open at this time if they got no customers.

The bar tender wasn't that pleasant. Her name was Bathilda, and she had been quick to tell me she was part of the Dark Brotherhood before she accidentally got herself stuck down here. The Dark Brotherhood was a group of assassins who killed people on contracts. She said it didn't matter who knew now because she couldn't hurt anyone with the Dwarves Law, so nobody cared.

By the time I was finished eating loads of people we're pouring into the bar. I was Roland with Dungas, they walked to the back and sat in the same place they we're the day I killed Dungas. It felt weird thinking that on this day in a different timeline I had murdered Dungas.

I got up and slipped out of the bar, it looked empty outside because everyone had gone inside. In my pocket we're some lock picks, when me and Hyde went looking around in ruins we often found locked doors, so I always kept some on me.  

I crouched outside of Roland's house and got ready to pick the lock, but the door blew open. I remembered someone telling me nobody locked the doors to their houses here because nobody would steal from them as long as the Dwarves Law was a thing.

The door made no sound when it opened, which was good because it was so quiet out here somebody might have come to see what the sound was. The house had the same layout as Flora's, except it looked a lot cheaper. It looked how I imagined a house in a forgotten underground city would look like. I wondered where Flora got all of the luxurious stuff in her house from.

It wasn't hard to spot the leggings seen as all the lights we're off and the leggings practically glowed. They we're in a glass case on the wall like the axe had been in the Jarl's house. I went over to them and opened the case. The leggings weren't too heavy, so I just picked them up and threw them over my shoulder. 

I left making sure that the door was closed. I wasn't sure what would happen when people found out someone had stolen something and the Dwarves Law didn't break. Everyone might go crazy thinking the Dwarves Law wasn't real. So I decided to break it and go back through the portal.

To do that I had to kill someone, obviously. I didn't really feel bad for doing it this time because 2 minutes after I kill them they'll be alive again, and I'll be one more step closer to saving them.

I saw a woman sitting outside crossed legged on the floor. She would be easy to shoot from the lake house. As quietly as I could i went over to the lake house. I took an arrow and got my bow ready and fired. The statues came to life and all headed for the bar, I guess they couldn't see me over here. I saw the Jarl run out of the lake house and towards the lake house. He entered and did the usual, wrote the note, left his crown, made a time portal. 

He was about to say something to me, probably why I had my bow out and some new shiny leggings swung over my shoulder, but before he could I jumped in the portal.