22. Execution

JUSTIN POV

I was agitated—as I usually am when I'm away from Maddie—but tonight, I just wanted to get home. I had been working a full twelve hours, since I missed an entire weekend of work traveling to Thorp a couple days ago.

I sighed just thinking about how much of a mess that was.

I had been in a meeting and ignored two phone calls, one from Jaxon and one from Jane. But when Keegan called, I knew something was up. I answered and he told me that Freddie was trying to contact me because Maddie was in the hospital. I almost had a heart attack on the plane ride to Washington, and when I eventually got there, Freddie had to throw a fit. I wasn't prepared, nor in the mood, to deal with him when my wife was suffering a couple doors away. Yet, he laid into me about putting her in danger and taking her from him.

I couldn't hold myself back and said a few things I probably shouldn't, but I have no regrets. He needed to hear what a little bitch he was being. There were bigger things to deal with than his fragile mood.

I was livid at whatever twist of fate that gave Maddie a fucking infection, a rare infection, at that. It didn't make sense. Was I the only one in the world who had to deal with this shit? Was all the evil dumped on my shoulders?

We stayed the weekend in the hospital, and I made sure to do all the research I could on toxoplasmosis. Apparently, she should be fine in a couple of weeks, and the harm to the babies was slim, but I was still freaking out. What if we hadn't caught it in time? I couldn't even think about that.

Babies

Two of them. Not just one, but two. I still couldn't comprehend it, but when we heard the heartbeats on the sonic ultrasound, Maddie’s face almost broke from smiling so much. I couldn't show my uneasiness. I was finally able to identify my emotion with this pregnancy, though. It was discomfort. I wasn't mad or scared, but I was just confused a little. I didn't understand it all.

But did any of that matter? No, because Maddie was happy, and she wanted this. I would get on board with anything that made her this ecstatic. She had been twirling around since our return home, and the fight with Freddie was all but forgotten. I didn't think they'd ever talk again.

Maddie told the family, and they were happy, as well. Olivia was overjoyed, and Bridget cried a lot. I got pats on the back from my brothers, and even Amun cracked a smile at the news.

But that was a couple of days ago. Everyone had since settled, and I had to get back to work.

"William, what time is it?" I asked from the backseat of the Aston Martin.

"Midnight, sir."

"He's late," I grumbled.

"I know, sir, but he'll be here. He wouldn't dare miss a meeting with you."

I nodded.

"Don't worry. He's too scared to not show." Finn fixed his jacket next to me. He was the only one I brought along tonight.

The car was parked underneath a secluded bridge in a questionable part of town. The Chicago River was to my left, and I swore I saw a tumbleweed pass by. In the shadows where we were, the city lights didn't reach the car, and I knew we would be hidden from prying eyes.

Tonight was a night of the utmost importance. I would be cementing my reign as the fucking king of this town. I just had to take care of unfinished business.

I really wanted to get back home to my wife. I hadn't seen her since seven this morning, and it was starting to wear on me. We talked over the phone and texted, but I didn't have time to meet her for dinner before she had work. I didn't even eat dinner myself. Maddie was always so supportive and never complained, but I knew we needed our time together. My attitude was more in check when I had seen her at least once throughout the day. That unfortunately didn't happen today.