Chapter 16: sightseeing

"Come on!" I yell as I shove the last of the picnic into my backpack. I'm wearing an off the shoulder cranberry top with black ripped skinny jeans and a Nike hat that cost me way more than it should of. My hair is down at my shoulders and the sun is glinting of the thin strands.

Damien jogs down the stairs with his backpack. "Don't worry, I've never missed a bus in my life."
I sigh. "At the pace you were going, I expect that's about to change."
We walk in thongs to the bus stop and rest our legs on a heavily graffitied steel bench.
The bus comes by and stops with a screech of tires that causes marks on the freshly laid bitchumen. "You really wanna ride in his bus? Why can't I just drive you?"
I stand up and look over my shoulder.
"Cause mum said never get in a car with strange men."
"It's too late for that."
Damien mutters as we board the stopped vehicle.

First stop, Purling brook falls.
As we drive along the rickety rainforest road others complain that the view is obscured by trees, but my opinion differs.
If you look closely the trees become the view. Multilayered foliage glimmering in the sun,  small birds of all colours.
Damien taps me on the shoulder.
"We're here Dolphie."
I turn to see the most beautiful creation of nature in my life.

After swimming, dancing, running, tripping and basically blinding myself with the sun, we stop at a small clearing in the forest.
"Dolphie?"
"Yes." I say, growing annoyed at the nickname.
"We weren't meant to bring lunch were we?"
This boy is hopeless, completely hopeless.
"Fiiiine." I give in, "eat my muffin." I say, tossing him a blueberry one.
"Gladly, but what's this?" He says, pointing to the muffin.
It takes me a minute to catch on but when I do I wish I threw that muffin harder.

After gaining sore feet and wide eyes on the Tamborine Rainforest Skywalk, being scared half to death and falling down a staircase at Dracula's haunted house and kicking Damien's butt at Timezone, we arrive at Currumbin Wildlife sanctuary.
It is our third last stop and the sun is getting lower in the sky.
Damien and I sit down next to each other to watch the crocs get fed.
I cant help but notice Damien's leg against mine, warm and inviting.
I lay my head  on his shoulder and he chuckles.
"Queensland heat not enough for ya?"
When we fiiiiiiinally get to hold the koalas, we take a selfie and get back on the bus. It's six thirty and my stomach is really rumbling.

Surfers paradise looks absolutely beautiful at night. We quickly hop off at the beach and pay the tour bus, we have to walk to our next stop. Me and Damien have fish and chips on the shoreline and soon my  stomach is finally satisfied.
"What a big day hey,"Damien says, laying back on the sand.
I join him silently and we stare up into the night sky. After 3 years, I finally feel at home.

Walking to our last stop was probably a bad idea.
My legs are aching so badly, I'm beginning to wish that I had taken up Damien's offer of driving me.
The group begins to dwindle, people like me are subsiding to their beds. But Damien is insistent that the next stop will be worth it.
Eventually we turn a corner and are standing in front of the skypoint observation deck.
We ride the elevator and my ears make sure to almost pop my head off.
"Wow."
Damien takes my hand and chills run down my spine, I try to believe it's because of the cold.
The view is a spectacular array of buildings, lit up in front of the night sky backdrop. My heart beats rapidly as I step onto the outdoor decking and listen to the wind whipping around my hair.
Damien stands next to me and wraps an arm around my shoulders.
"Dolphie," he says quietly.
"I never left you. Emily is my sister."
"Are you actually serious," I say quickly and loudly, turning around to face him.
"Why didn't you tell me earlier!?"
I yell, fuming.
"I just... I was having so much fun, I didn't want to dampen the mood. But I guess I have now," he frowns.
"You're such an idiot you know that."
I turn around and feel a weight has lightened. And tired. Especially that.

When Damien calls the taxi my drowsiness takes hold. I lay across his lap and nod off to the familiar feeling off his fingers stroking my hair. Familiar to a time before everything went wrong, familiar to the calm before the storm.

AN
so yes, I'm back! Thanks for reading this chapter and I will try to update more frequently now.
Stay awesome -pineapplepops11