Chapter V

The bells inside the café jingled melodically, warmly inviting Stacey inside as she entered. The waitresses greeted her with cheerful and welcoming smiles, to which she responded with a bright, "Hi guys!"

"I thought you forgot about us already," Elly teased. "How's your self-tour going?"

"Great," Stacey replied, seating herself on the stool. "I could get used to this place. It's nice."

"Isn't it just?" Donna giggled, handing her a blueberry muffin.

"How much?" Stacey asked, reaching into her bag for her wallet.

"Ah, no need, sugar," Donna waved it off. "It's on the house."

"Oh, Donna, I couldn't-"

"Please, I insist."

Stacey opened her mouth to spit out another protest, but Donna held her hand up and playfully eyed her warningly. She sighed, her shoulders slumping in defeat as she picked up the muffin.

"Thanks," she mumbled.

As she sunk her teeth into the sweetness of the blueberries buried inside the baked good, Anne spoke up. "I saw you with that boy, Stace. He wasn't bothering you, was he?"

Stacey shook her head. "Not at all," she said through a mouthful of muffin. Swallowing the bits, she continued, "His name's Jesse by the way. Jesse Miller."

"Jesse Miller?" Kate repeated. "Gosh, how'd you figure that out?"

"He told me," Stacey answered.

"He actually talked?" Kate said incredulously. She let out a sharp breath. "Well... that's a first."

"Why did he tell you?" Elly questioned.

"I just... asked him," Stacey said. "He told me before I came in."

"Honey, I'd stay away from that boy if I were you," Anne said quietly. "God knows what he does in his free time. Hell, we don't even know where he lives. He can't be good news."

"Steve isn't good news either," Stacey said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Steve?" Donna gasped. "You met him?"

"Yes," Stacey replied with sad eyes. "He isn't as nice as you said he was. He was picking on Jesse just because he's so quiet. Him and those other two boys... His friends."

"Friends... Oh," Donna grinned slightly in realization. "Nick and Tim, right?"

"I... think so?" Stacey said, trying to recall their names.

"Oh, well, that boy... Jesse, or whatever his name is..." Anne said, cringing when she mentioned his name. "Just be careful around him. Steve, Nick, and Tim probably know more about him than we do. There must've been a reason for their-"

"There was," Stacey grumbled. "They said it was because he didn't say anything to them, or he didn't answer them or something. Mom, whatever the reason is, even if it's a good reason, one shouldn't mess with someone like that. And honestly... Steve's reason was ridiculously stupid. I'm sorry, but I don't like him. I didn't get a good vibe from him."

"I don't feel good about that Jesse either, hon," Anne said sharply. "I'm sad you don't like Steve, but all I'm saying is be careful around Jesse. You hardly know him."

"Yeah, I hardly know Steve too," Stacey mumbled under her breath so silently, Anne wasn't able to hear her, much to her relief.

"Enough serious talk!" Donna said enthusiastically. "My birthday's coming up in a few days!"