Chapter XI

Anne was furious. Her eyes were flaring dangerously like fire fighting and eating away at the wood of a tree. She was shaking through her hot rage, her face growing red with such anger. Anger Stacey had never seen before, not on anyone.

"Mom!" she said stiffly. She quickly and nervously glanced at an anxious Jesse for help. "I-I can explain..."

"Explain?" Anne repeated. "Explain? You deliberately disobeyed me! You lied to me! You told me you were done with this boy!"

"I know, I know!" Stacey said desperately. "But... Mom, we misunderstood him. He's not-"

"He does drugs, Stacey!" Anne yelled.

Stacey caught sight of Jesse wincing out of the corner of her eye. "He doesn't!" she argued. "He changed!"

"Changed?" Anne shrieked. "Right... And now you'll tell me that you changed him, hm?"

"Mom... How did you know where... I mean..."

"I saw you two leaving the All Star."

Stacey and Jesse exchanged fearful glances. She clung onto him for dear life. "Mom... I know it looks bad... But it's not as bad as it seems."

"Oh, really?" Anne crossed her arms and glowered heatedly at her daughter and Jesse. "First, you tell me that your relationship with this boy was over. Then, you lie through your teeth, go behind my back, and do... this?" She shook her head and looked at the couple in disgust. "Stacey, I am ashamed of you!"

"Mom, please believe me, he's a good person!" Stacey pleaded. "If you just get to know him-"

"I don't want to get to know him!" Anne said hotly whilst shooting Jesse a dirty look. He swallowed nervously. "Oh, Stacey, you are in so much trouble, young lady! You're grounded for a month, you hear me?"

"I-I deserve it... for lying to you," Stacey said quietly. "But... but what're you..." She looked at Jesse.

"You're not to see him ever again," Anne snapped. "He's no good. You know, deep down, that you deserve better."

That had struck a chord. Stacey's terror-stricken eyes melted into one of anger. "No good?" she repeated incredulously. "You don't even know him! What the hell do you know?"

"Stacey, you've known him for two weeks! What could you possibly know about him?" Anne shouted.

"I know a lot more than you think," Stacey glared.

"Enough!" Anne screeched. "I am shocked! This is not how I raised you! I hope you realize how upset Donna is! How could you just leave on her birthday?"

"I'm shocked that she chose such a place to hold her party at," Stacey shot back. "I'm even more surprised to see that you're ok with it! Did you see how many people passed out because they were stupid enough to drink that much?"

"Quiet!" Anne bellowed. "I won't tolerate that horrible attitude! That had better change!"

"Don't expect too much from me," Stacey spat.

"Stacey, if you don't come with me right now, I will not hesitate to make it a two-month punishment!"

Stacey felt her eyes burn with angry tears. She clutched Jesse's arm tightly, and she felt his hand gently squeeze her shoulder for some sort of reassurance.

"You can't do this to me!" she cried. "I won't stop seeing him!"

"You're gonna have to, and you will get used to it!" Anne said furiously.

"No!" Stacey yelled. "Mom... You don't get it!"

"I think I do," Anne scoffed. "He's completely brainwashed you, hasn't he? You are not the daughter I raised!"