Chapter X

Her outfit was quite a sight.

Her jeans skirt was only slightly above her knees, the hem flowing outwards when she moved. It buttoned up just above her belly button, and was covered by her black long-sleeved shirt that she rolled up just slightly above her elbows. Her black stockings hid her once-revealing knees. Anne had done her hair up into a simple braid and placed it over her right shoulder.

"You look beautiful, Stacey," Anne said, awestruck as Stacey gazed at herself in the mirror. "You just need a touch of makeup..."

"Mom, no," Stacey whined.

"Just a bit of eyeshadow, hon," Anne said firmly, bringing out her makeup kit.

Stacey sighed. She reluctantly fluttered her eyes shut and allowed Anne to apply black eyeshadow on her eyelids. She contained her groan when Anne started dabbing on light pink blush over her cheeks. She gripped the arms of her chair tightly when she felt Anne smoothing on red lipstick upon her lips.

"There," Anne said, drawing her hands back once she was done. "Take a look. You look adorable."

Stacey opened her eyes and bit back a gasp when she took a quick look at herself. "I look like a doll," she said numbly.

"Oh, stop it, you look great," Anne waved it off. "Now let's get going, or we'll be late." She craned her neck to the right and yelled, "Frank! We're leaving!"

A grumble was the response given. Anne rolled her eyes and gestured for Stacey to stand. Stacey hesitantly stood up and followed her out the door. They climbed into Anne's black van, with Stacey taking her time, as she didn't want to go to the party at all.

"I can't believe you made me put makeup on," she said with a cringe.

"Don't be such a child," Anne scoffed. "It's Donna's birthday, so you should look good for her party."

"Girls look better when they keep it natural," Stacey mumbled. "I look like I'm wearing a Halloween mask."

"That's enough!" Anne snapped. "Forget about the makeup. You'll have a good time."

"Fine," Stacey said coldly.

The whole car ride was uncomfortably silent. Anne's eyes were hard as they pierced through the windshield and on the road. Stacey shrunk back in her seat and stared at the palms of her hands. She tugged at her braid, twisting the end of it around her finger. The All Star wouldn't take too long to get to... but it felt like an eternity before they arrived.

Once they did reach their destination, they hopped out of the car in complete quietness. They silently entered the nightclub.

When they opened the door, music blared deafeningly loudly against Stacey's ears. She winced as the beat of the song pounded into her eardrums painfully. The dance floor glowed various colours that flashed throughout the entire club. The place held the heavy scent of pure alcohol, making her feel sick to her stomach. It was easy to spot all the drunks, seeing as almost everyone was drunk out of their minds.

Through all of the people laughing hysterically and the music blasting throughout the whole club, Stacey was somehow able to hear a familiar squeal of delight. She spun around to see Donna, Kate, Elly, and two other men she had never seen before approaching her and Anne.

"Hello!" Donna said cheerfully, pulling both her and Anne into her usual tight hug.

"I'd tell her to back off, but it's her birthday!" Kate yelled over the music.

"Oh, Stacey, you look fabulous!" Donna cried.

"Told you," Anne winked.

Stacey nibbled on her lower lip. "Thanks," she mumbled under her breath. "Happy birthday, by the way."