Sam's Day Off

It was a rainy day in Pontypandy, Fireman Sam was at the Fire Station with Elvis, Penny and Station Officer Steele.

Fireman Sam looked very sad "oh just once I would like to have a nice day, it is supposed to be summer and it is just raining and raining. I just want one day of sunshine." Elvis agreed with Sam, "I know what you mean I was supposed to go dancing with my friends The Tango Ten. But the weather was so bad that the roof caved in and the dance hall was flooded." Penny was making tea, "I had nothing to do yesterday and I don't mind the rain so I just put up a few shelves and then sat at the window watching the rain come down, I found it very relaxing actually" she said.
Station Officer Steele sipped his tea "this is a wonderful cup of tea Penny, when we finish our tea break you must patrol Pontypandy for any damage from the bad weather, but it doesn't need all of you, I will remain here and monitor the control room, one of you can have the day off." He said.  Elvis was excited "oh but how do we decide who takes the day off?" He said. Penny was happy to stay at work "I don't mind staying, you two decide amongst yourselves" she said to Elvis and Sam. Sam had an idea "let's have a race, first one to the top of the training tower is the winner? "Okay"  said Elvis nervously.

Elvis and Sam were at the bottom of the training tower, Station Officer Steele came walking down the stairs "I made the challenge a little more interesting, the first one to reach the top of the tower and then make it back down again with Dolly over their shoulder is the winner" he said.
"On my count" said Penny. 3.2.1 GO! Sam and Elvis ran furiously side by side, Elvis began to slow down, Sam carried on running, he picked up Dolly and started running down the stairs again passing Elvis on the way. "Sam is the winner" said Penny. "Horray" said Sam. "How will you use your day off Sam?" Asked Penny. "Well I have some holiday time coming up soon, I think I will go and visit the travel agent" replied Sam.

Sam changed out of his fireman uniform and it to his normal clothes, it was raining again so instead of walking to the travel agent, he caught Trevor's bus. "Hello Sam" said Trevor, "please sit down immediately as the roads are very slippery". Sam found a seat next to Tom Thomas, "hello Tom" said Sam. "Crikey Sam, I didn't recognise you in your own clothes" said Tom Thomas. Sam laughed. "It's my day off today so I am going to the travel agents to look for a holiday" said Sam. "Well have I got the best suggestion ever for you Sam, how about the Island of Sodor? I just got back from there I was repairing the Helicopter at the search and rescue centre." Said Tom Thomas "sounds like a great idea" said Sam.

Sam got off the bus and went in to Dilys's shop. "Good morning Dilys" he said "oh Sam I am so glad you are here, my roof is leaking and the water is running in to my light socket" said Dilys. "Well I can certainly help with that but you will have to call an electrician to fix it properly" said Sam. Sam was turning off the light switches via the fuse box. He said to Dilys "I am actually here to book a holiday, I want to visit the Island of Sodor" Dilys looked pleased "oh Tom Thomas just came back from there he had nothing but good things to say about it, I will just ask Bronwen to mind the shop for me, usually I would ask Norman but he is at school today.  Just give me two ticks" Sam finished unscrewing all the lightbulbs just as Dilys came back in. Dilys set up her laptop and put her home made flight attendants hat on "right then Sam, the Pontypandy Travel Agency is now open for business.

A few minutes later and Sam's holiday was all booked. "Right that is your air and rail travel sorted. You leave on Monday" said Dilys. "Well thank you very much indeed Dilys, don't forget to call an electrician, goodbye now" said Sam.