Prologue

I was only seven years old when everything changed. I was in my house trying to help my mom with laundry when someone banged on the door. With fear in her eyes, my mom told me to go hide in the cupboard. She looked so scared that I hid right away. Crouched in the darkness, behind the towels and laundry detergents, I spotted a hole in the door. Peering through, I saw a man come through the door.

"Where is she?" said the man angrily as he franticly looked around.

"She's gone. You can't see her. You're not allowed to be here, according to the judge. Remember, I have full custody of her." Yelled my mother, trying to sound strong. My face paled at the realization of who the angry man was. He shoved her aside saying,

"She's my baby, so don't try to hide her. I can smell her... I know she's here." After one last look around the room, my father stared and said,

"This is your last warning. Next time I'm here I WILL take her away. She's MINE!" He turned around and walked away.

As soon as I knew it was safe to come out of hiding, I ran to my mom who was weeping on the floor. I didn't realize I was crying until my mom wiped my tears away.

"Mommy, why is daddy so mean?" Surprised that I recognized him, my mother said,

"He wants you back and no isn't his favorite answer."

A month past since my father came to try and take me away. Life continued as usual until the day before my 8th birthday. Dad burst in without knocking. Frozen, I dropped my birthday decoration. He stood tall with a gun in hand, starring straight at my mom.

"I told you I was coming. Now give me Anika or you'll pay the consequences..." He said. He looked at me with those hungry eyes that were burned into my memories from the terrible things he did to me when I was four years old.

"Anika... My sweet baby girl, do you want to come live with me?" My father said with an eerie sweetness.

"No! I HATE you! I wanna stay with mommy!" I looked at him as I screamed. He turned bright red in his anger.

"Honey you need to run NOW!" said my mother as her body became rigid with fear. I bolted out the door and before I entered the police station, I heard the only thing a little girl doesn't want to hear... a gun shot. I ran inside crying and I collided into a police officer. He looked down at me. His laugh died and his face dropped into a worrisome gaze.

"Anika, what are you doing here?" said constable Jack, the police officer that arrested my father. Jack was always there for my mother and I, during the difficult time.

"Daddy... Home... Gun..." I managed to say out of breath.

I stayed at the police station for what felt like a lifetime. Jack returned, looking devastated and pale.

"Sweet little Anika, I'm sorry to say but your mother didn't make it, and to evade jail time your father took his own life." He said as he was fighting back tears. The rest of the day was a blur. All I remember is fading in and out of sleep and crying hysterically. The next thing I knew, I woke up in a room with a little boy curiously looking at me.

"Who are you?" I said in a little voice.

"I'm Sam. Who are you?" He looked at me with a little sad smile.

"I'm Anika... Do you want to be friends?" As I said that, I noticed a huge smile making it's way onto Sam's face.

"That would be awesome!" He shrieked. We both started laughing and the door opened, Jack came through the door and was accompanied by a somewhat tall woman. She had brown hair and really blue eyes.

"Anika... Umm this is your aunt Delphine. She's going to take care of you now okay?" He looked at me with a concerned look.

"Yeah but I want my new friend to come too!" I said excitedly. Jack and the woman laughed.

"Delphine, should we tell her or should we wait?" Jack said as Delphine looked at him and nodded.

"Anika, this is your twin brother Sam." I couldn't breathe for what felt like two whole minutes. Brother? I had a brother and I never knew it?

"Brother? How? Why?" This was a lot to take in, in two days.

"I will explain that part when you are older. For now we have to go, the plane is leaving in an hour." Said my aunt as she started getting my stuff together. Sam took my hand and said,

"Come on sis, we're going home." I followed him only to be stopped by Jack.

"Happy birthday Anika." He leaned down to give me a hug as he handed me a small black box. I opened it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. A small delicate silver chain surrounded by tiny little dolphins, encrusted by the most stunning emerald stones. Jack helped me put the delicate bracelet on my wrist and then we all left to the airport.