III

Little under a week later, and Darwin had another laparoscopic case in. Jac had claimed it, and had put Zosia down to assist again.
The consultant was determined to make sure it went to plan- and that Zosia did everything correctly, so she'd decided to take her to theatre beforehand with a prosthetic dummy to practice the operation.
After she finished checking over her patient she strode out to find the cheery junior, who was also just finishing taking obs.
"Doctor March, a word"
Zosia hurriedly filled in the last few numbers and turned to follow the consultant, who was striding towards Darwin 2.
As she walked, she explained to the brunette, who she knew would be following her, "You're going to practice the procedure on a prosthetic, I don't want any mistakes in theatre today."
The junior just nodded. She couldn't be too eager, that'd irritate Jac. She wanted her mentor to like her, more desperately than anyone else.
But Jac Naylor is an easy enemy, and she had to keep on the fine line between over enthused and unbothered.
Once they reached the Darwin wet lab Jac stopped in her tracks and turned around to face her junior.
"Look, I have complete faith in you but I've got to make you do this. It's procedure for juniors."
Zosia nodded, a small smile gracing her lips, though she tried to hide it. No matter what she did she couldn't hide the fact that she really liked to be around Jac.
They entered the room and Jac lead her over to the table.
"Right, you know what you're doing."
Zosia picked up a gleaming scalpel and began the first cut, making a precise line in the fake flesh.
Once she'd finished she moved to make the second cut, jumping as Jac's hand rested on top of her own.
"A bit lower" Jac said in way of explanation, guiding their hands further down the body. Zosia shivered at the close proximity of their bodies and felt a loss of contact as Jac released her hand, letting her make the incision.
Once they'd finished the fake procedure, the consultant having retired to the other side of the table seeing that Zosia needed no more help, they left the wet lab and called a porter too take there patient to Darwin One, where the two surgeons were scrubbing in.
Zosia couldn't help the butterflies in her stomach as she saw Jac scrubbing her arms, oblivious to the juniors stares. There was no denying that the redhead was stunning.
Zosia's eyes flitted over her face, taking in her pale ivory skin, her cheekbones, jawline and her lips. Those lips. The brunette wondered what it would be like to feel Jac's rosy lips against her own, but then quickly discarded the thought. No way would Jac appreciate her attention.
The patient was anaesthetised and prepped for surgery, and the pair began the operation.
Little under three hours later, the consultant appeared back on the ward, her junior in tow as the operation had gone without a hitch. The redhead called a nurse to switch on the monitors in HDU and then let the patient's bed be wheeled in, and the woman be hooked up to the machinery. Zosia took obs and checked the patients vitals, and once the formidable consultant was happy the pair retreated, Jac to her office and Zosia to the staff room, for a well earned cup of coffee.