Apology Accepted

Gwen and I stare at each other. She looks guilty and I notice her eyes keep wandering around my neck. I look around awkwardly, waiting for her to be the first to speak. A mirror is on a table next to my bed.

I grab it to see hand marks on my neck.

No wonder she keeps looking at it.

Gwen clears her throat, gaining my attention.

“I’m sorry for losing my temper, Melanie! It’s just that what you told me angers me although I know that you’re just looking out for your sister. It is my fault that you land in a hospital after you try to confront me. It is my fault that Nate does not like me anymore. It is my fault that – ”

“Gwen,” I begin, shutting her up.

Gwen answers softly yet hesitantly, “Yes?”

“I forgive you.”              

Her mouth hangs open in shock. She blinks a few times. “Am I dreaming? There is no way she forgave me that easily right? Did I take any drugs before I fall asleep last night?” she mumbles to herself, making me bark a laugh.

“No, Gwen. You’re not dreaming,” I assure her.

She opens her mouth to say something but I cut her off by saying, “I know that you feel guilty and I forgive you for nearly killing me.”

She flinches when I say the word ‘killing’.

“But – ”

Once again, Gwen is interrupted when Cassie and Nate appears by the door. That was quick.

“I got Hawaiian for you, Mel,” Cassie says, her eyes on Gwen.

I smile at her. “Thanks, Cass.”

Cassie hands me the plate and Nate takes a seat next to my bed. Gwen is shifting from foot to foot uncomfortably.

“For Heaven’s sake, get out you two!” I exclaim, breaking Nate’s intense stare on Gwen.

“What?!” Gwen and Nate asks at the same time in disbelief.

“You two should talk and Nate forgive her. I’m not going to talk to either of you until I see you two kissing. Now get out!” I say, pointing at the door.

They sluggishly make their way out.

That ought to fix everything. Hopefully.

Cassie takes Nate’s seat. “You want Nate to forgive her?”

I shrug, munching on the pizza. “They are mates and if Nate doesn’t fix this soon, he’s going to be lonely. It’s just like you and Rick. What if you lose control and Rick is mad at you?”

Cassie shakes her head. “I can’t live with him.”

“Exactly.”

Cassandra stares at my neck. “I’m going to tell Rick.”

I cough slightly. “Tell Rick of what?”

Her face darkens as she says, “Of my secret.”

The both of us keep quiet. You can’t even hear birds chirping or stuffs like that. Absolute silence.

“Will you be there with me when I tell Rick?” Cassie asks with puppy eyes.

I try to look away but her eyes are so round and filled with tears. I can never say no to puppy eyes. They are too irresistible!

“Fine!” I exclaim in defeat before huffing. “I will be there but only from a distance! This means, if he tries to run away, I’ll knock him out, drag him to our house and lock him up until he accepts you.”

Cassie growls at me. “Mate.”

I put my hands up in surrender as I rephrase my words. “Okay! I’ll stop him if he runs away and let you explain. Happy now?”

She nods. “Very happy! You’re the best sister ever!”

Without warning, Cassie hugs me. I pat her back awkwardly. “Don’t let that go through your head, kid. You haven’t seen my dark side yet.”

“Can I tell him about you and Nate are hunters?” Cassie asks wonderingly, tilting her head at one side.

I shrug. “You choice, kid. As long as he can keep a secret.”

She grins. “If he can keep a secret about me, why not about hunters as well?”

Author's Note

I know! It's short! I'm sorry! I'm in a rush to get this chapter over with. I have no idea if this story even makes sense! It's a miracle that this story is still classified as G.

Facts about me #8: I write for local newspapers, except that I don't get paid. (I know right, my sad life)

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.