IV. - i need you

Jack's POV:

"Dare you." I said, normal tone of voice as I stood by the door.

"Who is this?" I heard from the other side of the door.

"I'm Gilinsky. I have a glock here in my hand but, it only has three bullets in it, enough for each one of you. Lucky for you guys, I'm a damn good shot. So, either you leave or I'm going to open this door and kill you. What will be, fellas?" I cocked my gun. I looked over at Jordie, who was shaking with fear. I didn't want to have to kill anyone in front of her but, I'd be doing it for her. I'd kill anyone for her.

I watched as they jiggled the handle, I unlocked it revealing them.

"Care to change your mind?" I asked and they immediately sprinted down the hall and out of the building.

I shut the door and sighed. Jordie was still completely terrified.

"I'm sorry." I said, feeling completely awful.

"It's fine." She nodded. She grabbed a blanket from the couch and wrapped it around her shoulders.

"Come here." I said, pulling her into my arms. I felt relieved when she relaxed into me. She wasn't scared of me.

"I take back what I said earlier." She mumbled into my chest.

"What?" I asked, rubbing my fingers through her hair.

"When I said that I don't need you. I need you, Jack. They would have killed me if you weren't here. I need you." She said, beginning to sob into my chest.

"It's okay Jordie, it's okay. I'm here. I'll keep you safe. I promise, you have nothing to worry about. It's all okay." I whispered, holding her tightly against me as she continued to cry. I let her cry in my arms.

"Can we eat the pizza now?" She asked, after she calmed herself down.

"Yeah." I nodded and walked with her to the kitchen. I put a slice on a plate for her and one on another for me.

We sat on the stools at the counter and ate in silence.

It was extremely awkward because, what do you say after a situation like that?

"Jack?" She asked after swallowing a bite of pizza.

"Yeah?" I replied, looking at her.

"What if they come back? What if they come tonight? What if they come when you're not here?" She asked, refusing to look at me.

"I'll take care of it. I won't let it happen. I won't leave you." I assured her. I intend to keep these promises to her.

"Jack, I'm really scared." She whispered sincerely.

"Jordie, you don't have to worry about a thing. I'll take care of you." I said, looking her dead in the eye, so she knows I'm serious. She nodded.

"That's never happened before." She said after a moment of silence.

"I know. It's over now." I nodded.

"Should I tell Niko?" She asked.

"That's a good idea. Go ahead." I nodded as I finished up my pizza, cleaning off my plate.

I watched as she went and sat on the couch, pulling her blanket closer against her. I went around the apartment and made sure all the windows were locked. As I walked back into the living room, I caught a bit of her conversation.

"Yeah, he took care of it."
"I'm still scared but, I trust him."
"He was really brave."
"We're both perfectly fine. He just locked the windows."
"Okay. Love you, cousin Niko."

She hung up her phone and sighed, tossing her phone lightly onto the coffee table.

•••

I sat in my bed, watching The Office for a couple hours. I checked my phone and it was almost midnight. Tomorrow was Friday so, I wasn't too concerned with waking up early.

I heard a knock at my door, obviously it was going to be Jordie so, I told her to come in.

She walked in wearing shorts, hair in a messy bun, and an oversized New York Knicks sweatshirt. It was dark, except from the light coming from the TV but, she looked beautiful.

I had never really thought about her like that before but, I have a soft spot for a girl wearing comfy clothes.

She sniffled a little as she wrapped her arms around herself. She was crying.

"Come here." I whispered, pausing my show. I slid over in the bed and she quickly joined me.

She immediately wrapped herself around me and cried on my shoulder.

"What's wrong?" I asked, running my fingers along her back.

"I-I'm just so s-scared, Jack" She said, muffled from her face being pressed against me.

"I know." I whispered, trying to think of a way to calm her down as I continued to run my fingers up and down her back.

"Can I stay in here with you?" She sniffled.

"Yeah." I said, not giving it much thought. I just wanted her to calm down.

"Thanks." She said and wiped her eyes.

She got comfortable, taking up most of the bed as I turned off the TV. Of course, she also hogged the blanket.

Why is she so damn difficult?

I lied down, turning away from her, facing the window. There wasn't much of a view, just the dim street light and the apartment building across the street.

After a while I started to hear Jordie snore. Of course she snores. Looks like I won't be getting much sleep tonight.

I stared out the window, for what felt like hours, not thinking about anything in particular, just thinking.

I heard a gasp come from Jordie so, I rolled over to check on her. She sat up and rubbed her hands over her face.

"You alright?" I asked, after clearing my throat.

"Yeah. Just a weird dream." She whispered and lied back down, facing towards me.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ask, starting to feel myself get tired.

"No." She shook her head and started to close her eyes.

I did the same, closing my eyes. In no time, I fell asleep and so did she.