Collect Call| 11

(Nina Carter up top)

"Nyla Get off of that!" Jace shouted at me. I pouted as I plopped down on the chair while he lifted the box I was going for. "It wasn't even that heavy. I'm pregnant, not disabled." I deadpanned.

"I don't need you putting any strain on yourself for the unborn child's sake and my own." He huffed. "Fine," I grumbled.

I had finally found a place suitable for the baby and me in Manhattan. It's close to the workplace and a lot of potential schools. The downside was the price, but for the quality, I was willing to pay.

Today I was going to get all of my things moved in and through the week the whole place was going to be decorated with the help of my favorite interior designer.

I heard a soft knock at the door and quickly went to get it. I checked the peephole and A smile spread across my face as I opened the door. "Hey, Nyla! It's so good to see you. Congratulations again on the baby." Brandon greeted he pulled me into a hug. "Thanks, bran muffin." I giggled.

"That ain't even funny anymore." He huffed. "Yeah, Yeah. Come in. Jace has me on boxing duty."

Brandon laughed as he stepped inside. "Where do you need me, Jace?" He asked as Jace appeared in the hallway. "I could think of quite a few positions-I mean places but for now I need help getting her stuff from up there," Jace said.

Brandon went to kiss Jace on the cheek before the two disappeared to get my things. In the meantime, I decided to pack up all of my kitchen stuff. That didn't take long, and it made me realize that I'd have to buy a lot more fancy dishes.

By the time we got finished packing everything up, it was 3 pm and the movers were on their way up to load the truck. "So you're moving up there to 5th?" Brandon asked.

"5th and 53rd, Yeah." I nodded. "How much are you paying for it?!"

"Let's not even talk about that."

Jace and Brandon laughed at me but I was dead serious. The price was so steep I didn't even want to say it. Way past the thousands though that's for sure. The rest of the evening consisted Of me listening to their few couples quarrels and unpacking boxes.

You never realize how much stuff you have until you move out of your place. When it was all said and done I settled onto the blow-up mattress I set up a while ago and watched the world through my floor to ceiling windows. The view was amazing and tranquil. Looking out there reminded me of Sebastian.

Every now and again I missed him more than I knew I should've. But I couldn't help it. I missed how he would hold me, but now he was doing that with someone else and I was peacefully alone.

About five minutes of laying down passed before my phone began to ring. At least I got a full five minutes. Usually, it's three. I grabbed the phone and answered without even bothering to check who it was. "Carter speaking..."

"You have a collect call from the federal Bureau Of Prisons. You are receiving this call from, G, inmate #77926–"

Before the automated voice could continue I hung up the phone. I knew sooner or later he would call. I was just hoping it wouldn't happen at all. This was the first time he'd called me. However, when I was looking through my mail the other I found a letter from him. I didn't even bother to read it, and I threw it into the fireplace. What could he possibly want from me? I should've let Sebastian kill him. With that thought in mind, I frowned and rolled over on my side. I had more than enough to deal with right now and I definitely didn't need this to add to it. Looks like I'll be changing my phone number tomorrow.