Gift Exchange| 49

I woke up at 5 am with the strangest feeling in my stomach. It wasn't pain but it didn't feel good either. I waited in the living room for everyone else to get up with my heating pad and a bowl of ice cream with a pickle. I'd moved on from my pickle and peanut butter days and now ice cream and pickles are my new favorite snack. I got about two hours worth of peace before I heard someone banging pots together. "Wake up! Let's open these gifts so I can go back to sleep!"

I laughed to myself when I realized that it was Evangeline. She arrived at dinner a little late last night, but I was happy she made it. "Evie paras! Que te pasa!" Javier yelled from somewhere in the house. I sighed with a smile as the two then began arguing in Spanish.

It didn't take long for everyone to gather in the living room. The people here consisted of, Aaron, Amara, Evie, Javi, Sebastian, Alex, Baba, Isa, and Eric. We were scattered about the living room exchanging gifts. I made sure I bought at least 3 gifts for everyone. It was exciting to watch their reactions to things they got.

"This is for you," Eric said as he approached me. I smiled kindly as I took the medium-sized box that he passed on to me. He continued to watch me as I tore open the paper and opened the box anxiously. Inside was a vintage comb, brush, and mirror set that looked like it was for a baby and a beautiful periwinkle colored blanket with my name embroidered in the edge in fine cursive. "I got all of this for you when you were a baby. I never got the chance to give it to you until now." He said.

"This...this is amazing."

"Take the blanket out." He encouraged me. I looked at him skeptically but did as told. When I unfolded the blanket I noticed something else embroidered towards the bottom of the blanket. I grabbed the end and smiled at what I saw. "Bunny." I read out loud.

"It's more of a gift for you and the baby." He smiled. I grin break out onto my face as I felt my eyes water. "Thank you."

He engulfed me in a hug and I held on to the blanket for the remainder of the time we exchanged gifts. "Nyla you only opened two gifts," Kayla said as she plopped down beside me with the new jacket I got her. "I was too busy watching you guys." I giggled.

"Here open mine." She smiled. She reached beside her and turned back to me with a small square box in her hand. I opened it up to reveal a diamond tennis bracelet and a very small chain that I was assuming was for Bunny. "I ever tell you that you're the best friend a girl could wish for?" She asked.

"I mean not really. But this pretty much says it all." I joked. She snickered and bumped her shoulder with mine. "thank you."

"No, thank you. You and Jace have been the best friends and I love you both for it."

"I love you too, Kay." I smiled. "Hey, can I borrow her for a minute?" Sebastian said as he approached us. "She's all yours. By the way, that chain is doing nothing for your figure." Kayla said.

"Those highlights are doing for yours." He replied. I facepalmed at the exchange. "Thanks for the sneakers though." He added.

"Thanks for the information you gave me." She replied and went to talk to Jace. I furrowed my eyebrows and held my arms out so he could help me up. "What information?" I asked as he led me away from the group.

"I had my team gather information on the best adoption agencies and surrogacy opportunities as well as fertility options for her." He replied. "That was kind of you."

"I was just trying to do something good that benefited someone other than myself or you." He shrugged. He led me all the way to the second floor. "Where are we going?"

"I want to show you your gift." He said.

I smiled as he covered my eyes when we stopped in front of the door at the end of the hallway. He guided me inside slowly before uncovering my face. "Voila!"

I blinked a few times as I took in the area. He'd decorated one of the many empty rooms in the house with all of my favorite things. The room was extremely spacious and he took advantage of that by incorporating something from all the things I liked to do. There was a large flat screen tv, a bookshelf, a desk with a brand new sewing machine, a beautiful chair for me to rest on, one of those drawers beside the desk, and Threads of all different colors hanging up over the desk.

On the other side of the room was another desk with a vanity mirror and all my makeup brushes and all the makeup I could ever need. There were shelves on the wall with three different cameras. There was also a mini-fridge and a drawer if snacks.

"I know you said you wanted to start sewing for bunny so I got this sewing machine. You'll also have someone come over to give you lessons on how to use it. I also set this up over here because you said you wanted to start doing makeup tutorials and posting videos to help teach kids about financial literacy. I didn't know what kind of camera to get so I got all the ones the guy at the store suggested. More importantly, I did this for you because I know how much you value being able to spend time alone. With the baby coming I figured you could use a lady cave to come to when you just want to relax."

"When did you...why did you...This is amazing."

Just seeing the effort he put in for me meant everything. He remembered things I told him when I was just talking and sleep-deprived. "So after today. I won't come in here unless you ask me to." He smiled.

I took a deep breath as I tried to gather the words but then my bottom lip started quivering. "Baby don't cry. You're supposed to be happy." He said as he engulfed me in a hug. "I am happy. these are happy tears." I cried.

"Thank you so much. I love you. This is so thoughtful it makes my gift look like trash." I huffed. "There's nothing I could do to make a $60,000 watch and that scrapbook with a memory from every place we've been, look like trash. Let's not forget the greatest gift of all, bunny." He said.

"Ugh you're gonna make me ugly cry," I whined. He only chuckled and placed his hands on either side of my face. "I love you." He said. I stood on my tiptoes to kiss him when I felt a strong pain. I quickly groaned and reached down to grab my belly. "What's wrong?" He asked frantically.

"I..dont--ow."

Just as he went to help me sit down a gasped as I felt warm liquid running down my leg.