INTERVIEW WITH... Stainton-Kaye

INTERVIEW WITH… Stainton-Kaye

NEW AND UPCOMING WRITER

Please introduce yourself…

Heyho, my name is not Stainton Kaye. It sounds a bit egotistical, but I LOVE saying that... makes me feel big lol. I don't spend nearly enough time here writing or reading but I hope for that to change with a little guidance.

Name one of your books and give a short description of it / why you think we should read it…

I'm a song-writer and amateur poet. I'd like to do more poetry but I don't think I have the skill or demand for it. But my songs are pretty well received :) I think "It'll get better" is a good one because I composed some piano for it and a little guitar with my friend, but mainly it's helped me through rough times. I tried writing about the subject matter before, but found each time I'd just get angry and would feel pretty selfish. I think it's a great song for anybody in a bad time of their life but cares about those around them.

At what age did you start to write?…

I may use a false alias, but I won't lie about my life. At a young age I was suspected of having autism- that later became unfounded but it did hold me back a bit. I was encouraged to try write though, and I made the odd poem around age 10. They were really limericks, pretty poor lol, though 2 are in junior poetry anthologies (so proud of that XD). I started writing songs around age 13 which were God awful and have since been destroyed lol, but I got the knack of it around age 15. I've posted 4 of the "nicer" songs on here, because they aren’t too "punk" and something I wouldn't often try.

When did you join wattpad? How long have you been a member?

I joined nearly 2 months ago. I've met some nice people and I've enjoyed looking around and posting, but I get very little feedback or reads. I'm not complaining, because I'm not really confident on here; but it does put you off writing at times. I'd get more involved if I knew more about what I liked to read and how to interact with people better.

What was your first book?

Tried writing an alternate history book aged 12- safe to say it was dreadful lol. I wrote my first song aged 13, but that was also a pile of wank (pardon the French). Aged 14 I did write a good song called "Seven letters", but it was a bit of a fluke and I'm much better now. Well..... if all you people think so lol.

How has your writing style changed over your time on wattpad?

I haven't had much of a chance to write yet, but I wish I did more. I definitely think more about stuff though, especially poetry. I really want to the audience to understand, or even better feel. I come up with lots of ideas for poetry, but I don't develop them because I get anxious about the reaction. So really I think more about how my stuff is read now.

What is one thing you hate? / can’t stand?

I'm a very tolerant and balanced guy, and I'll be the first to admit that I can get carried away with my humour when with friends; but I really detest disrespect. To not appreciate the conditions of a delicate situation is to commit ultimate damage, like running blind. Stupidity can't be helped, but ignorance is dangerous.

What type of book do you prefer to read / write?

I confess that I'm hopeless with fiction! I tend to stick to the non-fiction, but I have realised I do like sci-fi and historical novels, but I'm very unsure about it all. I find it hard to read at times, so I'm intimidated by all the writing here. Would love help getting into reading. As a songwriter, I like to write about anything that applies to me and other people. Things that have appeal and need to be said. As a poet, I'm quite unsure; though I think about war a lot. I'd quite happily let someone give me a topic and then go off and write about it. So if you have, please, just tell me- it'd make my day :)