prologue

Maggy and the Quest for the Magical Jewel

Once upon a time, there was a young princess named Maggy. She lived in a small village called Stagburn. Maggy lived with her mother and her father. She had a nice life, but wanted more adventure.

One afternoon, Maggy and her family were on their way to a ball when her mother became ill with yellow fever. She was immediately sent home. Unfortunately, her mother was not able to get proper care and passed on later that evening. The whole family was struck with grief and despair. When the day of the funeral came upon them, a woman that was close to the family came to Maggy with a small black, silk bag in her hands. She quietly handed the bag over to Maggy without saying a word. Maggy sat on the bed, opened the bag, and poured it out. One by one she picked up four small jewels, all of different colors. Along with the jewels there was a golden chain, and a note, folded very neatly. She began to carefully unfold the paper when she heard her father call to her.

"Maggy, it is time to go, please come down here darling," his voice was monotone and dull as he was waiting to see his lovely wife, Margaret, one last time.

"Coming father!" Maggy shouted as she shoved all of the things under her pillow and ran out the door. 

Maggy and her father stood dressed in black looking down at the ground as the mother was lowered into the ground. The day was full of sorrow for the family. That night, Maggy was sitting in her "bedroom", although it was mostly just a barn, when her father walked through the door. The sat next to her at looked very sharply at her eyes. He grabbed her hands and whispered to her. 

"Margret dear, I need to tell you something.", He waited for Maggy's response. As she nodded her head, he continued, " You see, we don't have much money. Your mother took care of most of the housework for us, and I was thinking about what we should do without her. I have a feeling you will not like this idea, but i want to marry another woman. Her name is Evelyn . She lives in a castle, and has four sons. Margret, I think it is for the best that we go live with them all." Maggy sat, considering all that her father had just spoken. 

Two weeks later, Leonard Winthry and Evelyn Salton were married. Maggy and her father were now preparing themselves to be a royal family. This is a big step for such commoners. Evelyn, of course, has to supervise everything Maggy was doing, because she ruled. Maggy's old mother was never like this. She let Maggy have freedom, but also watched carefully, and cared for her. This was something Maggy would never get used to. So, they got ready for the castle and soon enough the name came to leave.