Chapter 1

The first day of the school year always sucks.

That's a fact.

I felt so nervous that I was literally shaking as i walked to the bus stop, and I could feel tears filling my eyes.

I tried to wipe my tears away but the sleeve of my blazer apparently had a grudge against me. The material was extremely rough on my eyes.

I looked at my reflection in the screen of my phone and looked at my now - red eyes.

Great, that's just great.

When I made it to the bus stop, there were a bunch of half demons sitting around and playing spin the bottle.

Half demons are usually very annoying and loud, so I opened my spell book, flipped through the pages, and found a volume spell.

I chanted the words "Silentium, Orbis" which means "Silence, world" in latin. Most of my my spells are in languages besides English, because my spells come from all around the world.

The world suddenly went quiet. Sometimes, silence is a blessing.

I took out my notebook and started writing.

It's no ordinary notebook....it's a magic notebook. It has a spell on it, so everything I write is only visible to me. I usually just write about my discoveries in magic and thoughts on life.

I started writing about my dreadful morning, but the bus arrived.

"Shengyin Fanhui" I muttered, which means "Sound return" in Chinese.

I sighrd, put away my notebook, and got on the bus.

I took an empty seat in the back of the bus and looked out the window.

I thought of my best friends in the world, Yuki and Ava. That brought a smile to my face. I hadn't been able to see them all summer because they have extremely busy lives.

I was instantly filled with hope. This school year wouldn't be completely terrible.