The Water

I burst out the school doors, running down the street. I didn't know where I was going, I just knew that I wasn't going to come back.
     After about a solid hour of walking along the snow covered rough asphalt, I began to see snowflakes, lowering steadily through the sky. I glanced up at the hawk circling lazily above. I finally saw the path that I knew all too well. The path that leads to the lake. I shuffled along, my boots leaving marks in the freshly fallen snow. As the clear ice came into view, I began to run to the edge of the shore, despite my body screaming in protest. I was exhausted. As I stepped onto the thick ice, I nearly slipped, but caught my balance before I collapsed. I took several more steps out towards the center of the lake when I found a clear spot, free of any flakes. I looked down towards my reflection, only I didn't see it. I screamed at what I did see. A girl reaching up towards the ice, just the tips of her fingers peeking through.

I winced, closing my eyes, and tried to wipe the mental image of her pale face out of my mind

I winced, closing my eyes, and tried to wipe the mental image of her pale face out of my mind. I leant down, a single tear trailed down my cheek. Her family had lost her. I could relate, I thought sarcastically. Then I did the craziest thing I could have done. I opened my eyes, brushed her fingers, and stood up, stomping my foot down. A single crack quickly grew to several cracks, and eventually the ice beneath me shattered, the dark, cold water consumed me. I fought for breath, although I knew I wouldn't win. I let my eyes open to reveal the dead girl's pale skin and blue lips.
I calm myself, staring as the colorful lights from the sunset ricochet through the ice. My consciousness was quickly slipping away, along with my life. I was going to die.

That's when the water around me began to disappear, changing into a pocket of air around my body like a capsule. I felt the air rush through my body, causing the water to flow out through my mouth as I coughed violently, gagging. The air allowed me to breath, my lungs free of the icy water. The capsule form began to rise, the ice simply slid over the top, the shape disappearing as it emerged from the water. My soaked hair was beginning to freeze over, blanketing my face. My vision blurred, and I slowly closed my eyes as I pointed my head up.

I saw just enough of the face to know it was a boy before I collapsed, unconscious.