Chapter 3: Peter

I sat on the ice cradling the girl as she slept. I carried her back to my camp. I layed her down in the tent, pulling out the second one and beginning to set it up. I could hear her teeth chattering through the door of the tent. I lifted my hand to eye level, turning it abruptly. The teeth chattering faded into a stop as the air inside the tent gradually warmed. I smiled, hammering a tent pole into the ground.
     I tensed my stance, whipping around as I heard a shuffle coming from inside the tent. What if she was awake? I took slow steps towards the tent, trying not to make too much noise. I hadn't necessarily planned out what I was to do if she woke up. I peeked in the mesh window to see her fast asleep in her white tank top.

A crazy thought slipped into my mind. She's really pretty... I quickly shook it away, mentally slapping myself for it. I couldn't fall for another immortal, could I? I didn't know much about the rules, but better not risk breaking one. I'm sure I've already broken tons though. I zipped up the window and stood up. I could have been sure she was awake...

Denise's P.o.V.
        As soon as the footsteps faded, my eyes flew open. I was inside a one person tent, my grey sweater folded neatly beside me, leaving me exposed in my tank top. I stared at the zipper of the tent. I could try to escape... As quietly as I could, I slipped out of the blanket and crawled towards the door. I put my sweater on on the way there. I slowly unzipped the mesh door, than the real door. I poked my head out to meet with his feet. I covered my mouth to muffle my frustrated groan, not doing a very good job. I looked up to see the boy. He was about as handsome as a teenage boy could get... My heart fluttered. WAIT what am I thinking!? I need to get away! He ran his hand through his dark hair, staring down at me. "You're awake.." He said, his voice a smooth southern drawl. I didn't know what to say to him. I decided to start with a simple "Who are you?" He sat, crossing his legs. "My name is Peter." He said, then he gave me this crooked smile that made me want to faint. "What's your name and what are you after?" He asked me, a little less friendly. "What are you talking about?" I squeaked, confused. Does she really not know? I heard his voice in my head. I squealed in surprise. "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?" I shouted at him. "What?" he stared at me, clearly not understanding. I stared at him, horrified. "I think I just heard your thought!" I replied. He stared at me, his eyes wide. Shit! If she can hear my thoughts then... I heard again. "Then what?" I asked, not thinking. He snapped his head up and covered his mouth. "Uh... Nothing." He said, his smile wavering. "Sure..." I replied, but dropped the topic. I glanced up at him. "Why am I even talking to you?" I wondered. I abruptly stood up and began to back away. I turned around, ready to run, but he grabbed my arm. I whipped around, looking him right in his stormy blue eyes. "What do you want?" I asked, frustrated. "I need you to help me. You can freaking read minds! You can help me find my parents. Please." He pleaded. I stared at him, surprised by this sudden change in attitude. I sighed. Well, there wasn't really anything to go back to, so why not give it a shot... "why not. I don't necessarily have any family to go back to so, whatever." I say, bored with myself. He smiled, closing his eyes. 
I'll make her glad she did.... I heard, and raised an eyebrow. He blushed madly and looked at the ground. "Hey, I never got your name." he said, looking up again. "Oh, it's um... Denise. Denise Walker." I say, blushing. "Well Denise," he said, lifting my hand and planting a light kiss on it. "Welcome to the real world."