chapter 1: the explosion

I stared at my cereal, turning my spoon over in the bowl. The one thought in my mind was whispering around, trying to tap it's way out my mouth, piercing my temples. Eventually I gave in to the ache. I glanced up at my mother, taking a deep breath.

"Mom," I said, my voice smaller than I'd anticipated.

"Yes Denise?" I take another deep breath.

"Um... Some of my friends are going skating tonight on the lake. Can I go?" I asked, chickening out. I needed to ask her about dad, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

"Oh! Uh, which friends?" she questioned. Crap!

"Um, Alex and uh, Marnie. Yeah." I stutter. I was never really good at lying. The truth was, I just needed to think about some stuff.

"Yeah sure! I'm just glad you've got good friends. Be careful. The ice might be thin in some spots." she warned. I stood up, stepped around the marble island, and pulled her into a big hug.

"I love you," I said.

"I love you more," she replied.

"I love you most." I said, pulling away.

"Well, I'm off." I said abruptly, grabbing my bag and slipping out the door, leaving my cereal untouched.

Later...
I slid through the library door, my journal in hand, as the lunch bell rang. Sometimes, I go into the library to write what's on my mind. I mean, it's not like anyone would miss me. I hear a familiar voice outside the door. It was the principal. Mrs. Lien. It sounded serious.

"We need to find her! No one saw her?"

"no ma'am" a reply came.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes ma'am" Again.

"Try the PA system." Mrs. Lien added, frantic. Once I heard their footsteps faded, I came out, rushing into the cafeteria. Alex was right there, nearly tripping me. Tears rolled down her tan cheeks. She caught my hand before I collapsed on the floor. She pulled me into a tight hug.

"OMG Denise! I'm so sorry! First of all for knocking into you, and your mom." I broke free from her death grip.

"What are you talking about?" I asked her, my eyes narrowed.

"What about my mom?" She put her hands on my shoulders.

"Oh sweets, there was a fire... They didn't tell you..?" The tears streamed down her cheeks again. I felt my own tears pounding on the back of my eyes, begging for release. I gave in. Falling to the ground. My mother was... Gone

Hugs to all, ~Dante