THEM

Anywhere can be amazing, or deadly.

Watch the little girl, stranded in a city of miracles, home of the new, and the kind. Unless you fall, fall down below the crust, and meet the mean, the angry, the forced, the desperate. It all overwhelms, because all it takes is a little short step, and you’ve left your world behind.

Watch the little boy, stranded on the island of ignorance. You can as close as you dare to the ocean’s edge, but once you go in, the riptide means you never go back. And this island is shrinking. The ignorance is not as easy as it once was. One by one, the ocean lures people out, and they realize that if they go back, they will miss it. Nothing left to say other than that you're sick of it. Wanting to pull away the cover.

Watch the young man, living a life he’s bored of. Watching the same thing every day, and realizing he wants out of this boring cycle. No matter what happens, he wants to be gone, because what he does is wrong. There could be a whole world out there, and he is blinded to it by custom, and the jealous older ones.

Watch the young woman, seeing all these chains around her, while others dance and sing, not knowing they just have a long leash. The young woman can’t take it, so she strains. She pushes, she tests. And then, she breaks it. And as the shards fall all around her, she runs off, finally running for her freedom. The others watch her, they don’t know what to say. She is free now, but she was free before, they say. Why is she so happy when she should have been free before? They have bliss, and blindness. They won’t ever see until you let in the light.

Watch the old man, regretting inaction. He could have done great, but he choose to lie, and steal, and destroy anything he could’ve made. Intelligence won’t help, until they choose to accept it. And he accepts it. Why fight what you were given, when you could use it to help yourself along. Looking back, the old man sees himself as the young man, and the little boy. Everything could have been better, if he had done something earlier.

Watch the old woman, regretting inaction. She could have done great, but she choose to lie, and steal, and destroy anything she could’ve made. Intelligence won’t help, unless they choose to accept it. And she accepts it. Why fight what you were given, when you could use it to help yourself along. Looking back, the old woman sees herself as the young woman, and the little girl. Everything could have been better, if she had done something earlier.