Chapter 1 - The men in the camouflage jackets

I knew it was the last time i would see him. Everyday, Jamie would skype me and his dad from his base in Afghanistan. but one night, the unthinkable happened.

 We were skyping like any other normal day, Jamie was excited about returning home in a few weeks time and i couldnt wait till he was back home safe and where he belongs. Just as i was saying goodbye there was a bang and suddenly alarms sounded as i heard another bang but this time it was the sound of a thunderous explosion. Jamie rushed off, closing down his laptop so i persummed there was an accident in the weapons part of the camp, little did i realise that they were all under attack. Under attack from an enemy the size of which they had never seen before. After what seemed like an eternity, silence fell. I waited for my son to come back, smiling and telling me that everything was okay. I stayed up everynight hoping that i would hear from him. But i didnt. Then then next day they came.

The two men in camoflauge knocked on our door. Before they even said anything i broke down in tears.  "No, No! Not my Jamie! There must be some kind of mistake!" so many different thoughts were rushing through my head. The soldier dressed in his camoflauged unifrom placed his hand on my sholder   "Im sorry Mrs Conway, I know this is hard"  He then handed the dreaded envelope to my husband while i sat on the floor, head in my lap crying, crying like i had never cried before.  I couldnt believe this was happening,  he was just a boy. It hurt even more to know he was going to be returning home, safe from afganistan in just a few weeks from this dreadful day.  The truth is After that skype call, i had been expecting this visit. From the moment that he rushed off that day i knew that would be the last time i ever saw him. I was just hoping that i was wrong.