CHAPTER 4: Then

The lights went down in the audience and cheers erupted as five figures appeared on the brightly lit stage. I stood at the very front of the crowd, unable to contain my excitement, yelling with the rest of the fans.

One Direction stepped forward and the first person my eyes fell upon was Harry. With his curls swept naturally across his forehead and dressed in white jeans and a navy blue blazer over a white v-neck, he looked like he had stepped out of a modeling session.

Just before the intro chords to “One Thing” started, I thought I saw him wink in my direction. Don’t be silly, I thought, my heart thumping wildly inside my chest.

I was so caught up in the moment that I almost missed Harry’s first solo. As his rich voice rang out the words, “You’re my kryptonite”, he pointed straight at me, grinning widely. There was no mistaking it this time, Harry had singled me out twice now and the girls around me were screaming in my ear.

The rest of the concert went by like a dream. I tried to watch the whole show but my eyes kept flickering over to Harry. Every so often, he would catch my gaze and smile, leaving me blushing in the audience.

By the time the concert was over, I was in a daze. I walked backstage, clutching my VIP pass tightly. The hall was filled with several excited fans, waiting in line to get their autographs of the boys. I began to join the other girls in line for the 1D Meet & Greet, feeling awfully calm standing next to a girl who was talking non-stop to her friend about how Harry kept looking at someone in the audience. Realizing that they were talking about me, I kept my head down, hoping nobody would recognize me. I didn’t want any attention from this.

Everything was a bustle of noise and movement, and I jumped when a large hand landed on my shoulder. I looked behind me and saw one of the security crew. He pulled me out of line before asking, “You’re Jenny?” His voice was gruff and had a no-nonsense tone but his blue eyes were kind. I nodded, worried that I had unknowingly done something wrong.

“Harry wants you to wait in his dressing room,” the man said, motioning for me to follow him before walking off down another hall. I stood there numbly for a second before hurrying to catch up with the security guard. I quickened my pace to keep up with his long strides.

“Are you sure?” I questioned him. Surely it couldn’t be me.

“Of course,” he said, continuing forward without looking back. “He pointed you out to me after the show.”

I was still unsure and wanted to ask him more, believing that he had made a mistake. Harry Styles wouldn’t want to see me, would he? After all, we had only met once last week.

Despite my doubts, I hoped what he had said was true. Before I could say anymore, we had arrived at the dressing room. The security guard unlocked the door and gestured for me to enter. I walked in hesitantly and the man said, “He’ll be here in a few minutes,” before closing the door behind him.

It was silent now without the noise of the clamoring fans in the background. I felt an odd sense of déjà vu and realized that this felt almost exactly like when I was in Harry’s hotel room. I walked around, struck by the comfortableness of the room, from the leather sofa to the mini refrigerator. I refrained from touching anything, knowing full well that I was prone to breaking things. I walked over to the long rectangular mirror, positioned below a string of bright lights.

I stared at myself in the mirror, sensing that my casual appearance didn’t belong in the room of a star. I had on dark blue skinny jeans and a plain black t-shirt with the 1D logo emblazoned in large white lettering on the front. Part of my black hair was tied back, but it still seemed like an unruly mess to me. I never bothered to wear any makeup but I felt myself regretting not doing so earlier that night as I touched my bare cheeks. I pushed my bangs out of my eyes and leaned in closer, noticing a photo taped in the upper left-hand corner of the mirror.