Chapter 8

"Well it's about time you showed up," Effie says as I enter the dining room.

"Sorry," I say with no sense of sincerity. "I was just.. showing myself around a bit."

"We'll have plenty of time for that later!" Effie snaps, letting out a huff. "You have a schedule that I need to tell you."

"Of course you do," Haymitch tells her. She just stares at him. "Loosen your corset, have a drink!" Haymitch says as he sips on what I think is Booze. Effie rolls her eyes and Prim smiles. Her smile looks just like Katniss's, though she never smiled much anyway.

"So," Effie says, back to her usually giddiness. "What are your skills? You may need to use an angle." I glance around the table and shrug my shoulders. I can't shoot a bow, throw a knife, and I've never been too good at hand to hand combat. So I guess the odds aren't in my favor.

"I don't really have any special skills," I tell Effie. Prim glances at me and starts to speak.

"Peeta's really strong," she says. I turn my gaze to her.

"What?"

"Peeta is SUPER strong! When I sell my goats milk, I pass the bakery. He can throw a 100 pound sack of flour right over his head. I've seen it."

"Well I do t think I'm going to kill someone with a sack of flour," I say. Why is she saying this? I'm starting to get a little irritated when she starts again.

"Well maybe you'd have a better chance of winning if  someone came at you with a knife."

"I have no chance of winning!" I shout across the table at her. "None, alright?" I think of how I promised to keep Prim alive. For Katniss. Even though Katniss probably didn't recognize me until the reaping, I know this is what I have to do. I remember seeing Katniss with Gale all the time and know she won't care if I die. Even if I weren't doing this for Prim, I still wouldn't stand a chance. The Careers would probably hunt me down and give me a slow, painful death. The thought makes me even more mad.

"Do you know what mother said?" I ask Prim. Every eye at the table is on me. "She said that maybe this year district 12 might finally have a winner. But she wasn't talking about me, she was talking about you!" I remember Mother visiting me before I was taken away. She told me what I already know; that I have no chance of winning. She told me the truth.

"Peeta-" Prim starts, but I cut her off.

"Well it's true! And everybody knows it!" I yell. "I'm not very hungry." I say as I rise from my seat. I walk back to my room without looking back. Even though I can't see, I know everyone is watching me. I walk into my room and flop on the bed. After awhile, I hear footsteps coming down the hallway to my room. Then a knock on my door. I keep my head shoved in a pillow and respond.

"Who is it?"

"Prim." A soft, gentle voice answers. I sit up and walk to the door. I was expecting Haymitch.

"Hey," she says as she comes in. We sit on my bed and she rises. She wanders over to my window and opens the curtain to reveal the Capitol, buzzing with lights in the night time sky.

"Nice view," Prim says.

"Yeah, I guess so." I sigh. Prim gives me a sideways glance. I don't know why I'm mad, especially at her.

"Prim-"

"No." Prim cuts me off. "I'm sorry."

"You didn't do anything."

"I kinda put you on the spot," she says. "But I really do, you know."

"Do what?" I ask, confused.

"I really do think that you have a shot at winning, Peeta." She's says as she sits next to me on the bed. "Why don't you? You are strong, and you're one of the older tributes."

"Prim, I just know I can't win." I tell her matter-of-factly.

"Well, you have a better chance than me." She huffs. "A weak 12 year old versus a strong 16 year old. Who do you see winning that fight?"

"Prim," I say, getting annoyed again. "Do you really think that I would hurt you?" The fact that she pictures me fighting her in the arena hurts me. I'm not like that. That's not who I am.

"I don't know," Prim says so quiet that I almost can't hear her.

"Well-" I start to raise my voice, but calm myself down. I don't want to yell at Prim. Again. "I won't, Prim. I won't hurt you in that arena."

"I know," Prim says. "But you've seen what the games can do to people."

"Well," I say as a smile. "That won't happen to me. I won't let it." I say, remembering the promise I made to myself. Protect Prim and get her back to Katniss. That's your goal in that arena.

"Okay." Prim says and smiles. "I believe you. And I'm sorry about dinner."

I chuckle. "It's okay, Prim. I am too."

"It's okay," Prim says as she giggles. "Well," Prim says as she stands. "I'm gonna go get some rest. Training starts tomorrow."

"Okay, " I tell her, "Good night, Prim."

"Goodnight, Peeta." Prim says back as she turns to leave. She stops at the door and turns to face me. "Thank you," she says.

"For what?" I ask.

"For watching over me on the train and making me feel better."

I smile. "Of course."

Prim gives me a reassuring smile and leaves my room. I stand up and strip off my clothes to change into something more fit for bed. I decide on a pair of black shorts and a green t-shirt. Katniss's favorite color I think to myself as I pull the shirt over my head.  I crawl into bed and try to sleep. Just as I'm about to doze off, I hear yelling. I run into the hallway and I instantly know what room it's coming from: Prim's.

"Katniss...KATNISS NO!" I hear Prim scream at the top of her lungs. I rush into her room and shake her.

"Prim! It's okay! It was just a dream! Wake up!" I say gently. Her eyes fly open and tears  flow from them.

"Peeta?" Prim asks in a trembling voice.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ask her.

"It was Katniss... she watched me die in the arena even though I was okay," Prim tells me, sobbing. "I wanted to tell her I was okay but she couldn't hear me. Then peacekeepers came and took her away and then.." Prim tries to continue, but her sobs consume her.

"It's okay," I say as I give her a hug. "Katniss is okay. I promise. Okay?"

"Okay." Prim sniffles. "I'm sorry." She whispers.

"It's okay, I'm scared about the arena, too. But when we're in training, you'll learn how to fight. You'll be okay in there, I promise." I whisper softly.

I wait for a response, but I look down to see Prim has fallen back asleep. I give her a sad smile before I go back to my room and try to sleep. The last thought running through my mind before I sleep is clear: Prim will be the victor of the 74th Hunger Games. I will ensure that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: OMG I finally updated! I'm really sorry it's been such a long time! I'm really going to try to get better and update more. I hope you enjoy! :)