Barcelona vs. Paris Saint-Germain

Heartache, anger, bewilderment. The emotions of every Barcelona supporter after their 4-0 battering away to Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League. It was over. Their aspirations of reaching the final or even the semi-final had dissipated. Coming from 4-0 down to go on and win the tie had never been achieved in Champions League history let alone thought of. Barcelona had an impossible task to complete at the Camp Nou.

Following the 4-0 defeat, the Barcelona supporters were understandably livid. Through a retrospective view, the phrase "Enrique out." is very bold. Luis Enrique said in an interview that "If they can score four goals against us, we can score six. We have nothing to lose and a lot to win." What a bold statement that turned out to be...

In the days leading up to the Champions League clash, Barcelona were beginning to gain belief, spurred on by their results. 6-1 and 5-0 against Sporting Gijón and Celta de Vigo respectively. The Barça squad needed to score 5 goals without conceding and they were through. Barcelona had the skill to do this against the two La Liga Santander teams, but Paris Saint-Germain were no struggling La Liga team (Sporting Gijón) or a mid-table La Liga team (Celta de Vigo). They were the French giants, the biggest club in France. Currently sitting 2nd in Ligue 1 only three points behind table toppers AS Monaco. With the likes of Angel Di Maria, Veratti and Edinson Cavani they were not a team to be reckoned with. But reckoned with they were...

Wednesday. 8th of March. 2017. At 7:45pm the whistle blew and kick off was under way. The locals craved for an early goal to truly inspire themselves and their team. Their cravings paid off. Two and a half minutes into the match Luis Suarez had managed to force the ball over the line with his head. 1-0.

Barcelona wanted to get another but they were kept out. That was until the 39th minute. Andres Iniesta was attempting to force the ball over the line for the second time in the match, but Layvin Kurzawa had made it too easy for him. Own goal. Barcelona 2, Paris Saint-Germain 0.

A sigh of relief from the Parisians as the half time whistle blew. They needed to respond. If they were to score one goal then Barcelona had to score 4 more to win the tie on aggregate.

The whistle blew and the second half was under way. Barcelona were already threatening PSG with their aggressive attacking intent. Iniesta was on the ball inside the box, he slid it through for Neymar. Meunier had begun to lose his footing whilst Neymar was running towards the path of the ball. Neymar goes to ground as Meunier makes contact with him. The crowd appeals for the penalty. No penalty. Then jeers and whistles ring out around the stadium. Penalty! Cheers from the stands. The official on the goal line had told the referee it was a penalty. Messi steps up to take the penalty, and puts it into the left hand side of the net on the 50th minute mark. 3-0. The players can feel it. The crowd can feel it. Will this be the greatest ever Champions League comeback of all time?
Paris Saint-Germain certainly had different ideas. 3-1. Cavani scores, half-volley into the top left hand side of the goal, beautiful goal. It was beautiful chaos for Barcelona. The home fan's hearts sunk. With 28 minutes remaining the scores were, on aggregate, 5-3 in PSG's favour. Barcelona now needed an even bigger miracle to score 3 in the time that remained.

With 2 minutes of regular time the game seemed finished. It was a valiant effort from Barcelona. Neymar however didn't for a second think it was over. He had been awarded a free kick outside the box at quite an angle, extremely difficult to score from but guess what? He shoots. He scores. Gorgeous goal. 4-1. A glimpse of hope remained in the Barcelona side. With seven minutes remaining the crowd began to elevate the home side.

In the 89th minute Lionel Messi found himself in space that he created, as he does so often. He lifted the ball over to Luis Suarez. He runs onto it, but then Marquinhos hits Luis' leg with his own, all whilst having his hand over the shoulder of Suarez. That is something you just do not do to Suarez. He goes to ground and a penalty is awarded. Neymar steps up to the spot and converts the penalty with confidence in such a stressful situation. He sends the keeper the wrong way. Neymar seems to be able to do it time and time again. The crowd is bursting with aspiration and a joyful disbelief. 5-1. 5-5 on aggregate. One more goal needed.

With five minutes left to play Barcelona went in search of hope, as they have been doing the entire game. The home team went on one last attack. Ter Stegen came up to support the attack and he ended up on the ball outside of the area. He was hacked down by Veratti. Neymar was to take the free kick. Barcelona fans urging their team on, the free kick was taken but provided nothing. The ball ended up with Neymar yet again, who was the eventual man of the match. He floats a through ball over to Sergi Roberto, and it's as if time stands still as he stretches to make contact with the ball, he manages to tap it over the keeper and score. 6-1 on the night, 6-5 to Barcelona on aggregate. Absolute scenes of jubilation and realisation of what just happened. The substitutes, the Barça staff and Enrique, the man who believed from the very start of the match ran onto the pitch. Three goals all in the space of 7 minutes. Amazing. Bewildering. Record breaking.

And just to think that three weeks prior some Barcelona followers were saying "Enrique out."

Statistically the greatest ever Champions League comeback. But personally the most enthralling comeback in football history.

Watch all the goals here.