Chapter Three

I reach the shore and sit on my towel. I have been surfing for more than an hour and I am very tired. The local surf contest it coming up and I need to practice extra hard if I'm going to win. Autumn meets comes out of the water and sits on her towel next to me.

"Your good. I think you'll win." She says and pulls out a bag of chips from our beach bag.

"Really?" I ask and take it from her.

"Oh yeah, you know that girl, Christina that's entering. Well she's here and she was giving you dirty looks while you were surfing. She's afraid of you." She says and grabs the chips from my hand.

"Yeah I saw her, made me laugh." I say and grab the bag.

"Really?" She says and grabs it from me.

"Yes!" I say and yank on it, but she holds on. We yank and pull until the Bag rips open and seagulls surround us picking up the chips on the sand.

"Laugh, it will make Christina mad." Autumn whispers and at the same time we burst out laughing. Out of the corner of my eye I see Christina glare at us and head towards the water.

I grin and then say, "ok we made he mad, but I still want chips."

Autumn laughs and grabs her surf board. "Come on, let's go home." I pick up mine and we laugh our way off the sand.

We reach my house and go to my room. We are sitting on my bed playing on our phones when someone texts me.

"Hey this is Jake, we met by the beach. Remember?"

Omg.

"Hi, yeah I remember. Lol you knocked m surf board out of my hand."

"Yeah sorry about that. (Haha) are you doing anything tonight?"

I look over at Autumn. Me and her are supposed to go to the fair tonight.

"Yeah, I'm going to the fair with Autumn, the one that was mean to you."

"Oh ok, we'll I'm going tonight, maybe I'll see u there."

A second latter,

"Does she hate me?"

I laugh,

"No she thinks your nice, she just wasn't having the nicest day, (haha) see you there."

I send the message and Autumn gives me a look.

"Who you texting?"

"Jake." I say and raise an eyebrow. "The one I met, why do you care?"

"Because I am your friend and I just do." She says and sits up a little straighter. I know what we are doing, we are seeing who can be the most proper. We do this a lot.

I sit up and raise my head higher. "Well then, I feel very loved and hope you will mind your own business next time. I have more important things to," what's a proper word? "Cater to."

I'm winning.

"We'll then, ma'am, you may go, CATER, to your... Not so, important boy business and leave me alone."

"I may remind you that I said no to a DATE, so that me and you could go to the carnival together."

"Why you ARE a creetin. I would have left you for a boy. Oh you have so much to learn."

"Wait a moment, so I should have said yes?"

"Yes, you should have said yes." She pulls her chin up higher and starts to laugh like a British person, quiet and short.

Darn it, she's winning.

I start talking in a British accident an say, "Well I guess I am just an idiot." She laughs and says in a normal voice, "fine, you win."

I laugh and throw a pillow at her. I don't know why we do that, we just do.

Probably because we are friends.

But who knows.