Chapter Twenty-Five | Watch Me

The fire was warm, it's flames rising into the cold night air. I feel Forrest's eyes on me as I move closer to it, trying to get warm. I look across it, finding Walker fast asleep, her head resting on Malik's chest. I perk up a smile, feeling an arm rest around my shoulders. I turn slightly, looking into Forrest's earnest eyes. His lips linger on my cheek, and I close my eyes.

"Your twenty-four hours are up, Mr. James." I jump at Darius' coarse voice. I look towards Malik and Walker, who are both are stirring awake. I stand up quickly, slowly backing towards my backpack.

"Now, we can do this the easy way, or-" He motions to the men behind him, "-the hard way."

I take slow and gentle steps backward, until I feel my foot hit my pack. Darius fixes his eyes on Forrest, looking angrier than ever.

"Give us the girl, and we'll let you all live. Simple." Darius smirks, never leaving Forrest's eyes.

"The only way you're taking her is if I'm dead." Forrest growls.

Darius pulls out his gun, pointing it right at Forrest, "Okay then." I gasp, and Forrest slowly shakes his head at me. I kneel down, quietly unzipping my backpack as Forrest continues to distract him.

"You wouldn't shoot your stepson." Forrest tries.

"Watch me."

I toss Malik a gun, and Walker a knife. Darius turns and looks, but not in time to get a knife fly right past his neck, cutting a little bit of skin, and killing the man behind him. Walker runs, pulling the knife out of the man, and chucking it at another. Guns begin to shoot, and I run after Darius, pinning him to the ground. His gun flies out of his hand and I kick it at Forrest.

"Shoot, Forrest." I say, holding Darius down. Darius slowly smirks, "He won't kill me, girl."

I turn, squinting at Forrest. He looked at the gun, then at Darius.

"Watch me." He mocks, cocking the gun and shooting. But nothing comes out.

"It's empty." I say, dumbfounded. Darius just smiles evilly, pushing me off of him. I attack again, throwing my elbow into his stomach and somersaulting to his side, pulling Walker's knife out of a bleeding man and pulling it down, straight into Darius' heart. Darius rolls out of the way, the knife cutting into the dirt.

Forrest pulls his stepdad up, holding his hands tight around his neck. "Leave us alone, and let her go, and we'll let you live." Forrest suggests. Malik comes up, holding his gun to Darius' head.

I toss Walker's knife back to her and she catches it, smiling, "All dead."

Darius struggles under Forrest's grip, "I'll leave." He manages to croak.

Forrest releases him, Darius gasping for air. "Now!" Forrest shouts, and Darius takes off into the woods.

Walker walks up to Malik, kissing him long and hard. Malik looks shocked at first, but soon drops his gun and embraces her.

Forrest wraps his arm around me, "You okay?"

I nod, "If I really am the cure, I can save a lot of people."

"Willow, don't-"

"It's in my blood, right?" I interrupt. He nods slowly, moving a few strands of hair out of my face.

"Then pack your things." I say, walking away from him, eager to save the burning world from suffering any longer.