Chapter 5: The hospital

Heya! Sorry guys - the last chapter was a bit all over the place :(

This one's a bit of a filler.

x

________________________

*There lay the dagger from my dream. And it was covered in blood....*

I sat up in disbelief, every curse word I've ever known running through my mind. Slowly, I dragged my body to the other side of the bed, getting as far away as I could from it. The blood that pooled around the blade had me shaking my head in horror.

"N-nana? C-c-can you see it? Because if it's just me, then I'm going crazy but if not...... Oh my god nan." I stuttered, turning my face towards her but keeping an eye on the dagger. When she didn't reply, I turned to face her completely.

"Nan, nana?" I asked uncertainly. She looked like she had seen a ghost: Her face was pale as a sheet, her hands were trembling and her teeth were attacking her bottom lip. Suddenly, she stood up, sending the lamp on the bedside cabinet crashing to the ground. Her eyes were wide pools of endless blue as she backed away from the dagger, pointing a shaking finger at it.

Fear built up inside of me, getting stronger by the second as I glanced between my nan and the dagger. "Nan, please tell me what's wrong." I rasped, my throat dry. Nan simply shook her head, her mouth opening and closing like a fish. "Nan! Your scaring me."

"It - it can't be. Not now, not here. He said it wouldn't happen 'till later. He said you'd be safe from him, from them - that lying scoundrel! How could he?!" She gasped.

"Nana, what is it? Who said? Nan, your not making any sense!"

"No one, he's no one. Now Olivia, do as I say, ok? I want you to hold out your hand, ok? The one with blood on it. Ok, now I want you to pull out the biggest shard of glass from your hand and turn your wrist so that the blood drips onto the dagger."

I simply stared at her in confusion until she began to shout. "Listen to me right now Olivia Odasia or today could be the last day you'll walk the surface of this earth. You will do as I say young lady and you will do it NOW. We don't have any time to waste and the sooner we get that cursed thing out of my house the better, do you understand?"

I'd never seen nana so bedraggled and fearful before and it was clear by the way she was speaking to me that she was scared witless but I still managed a sarcastic: " I can't walk anyway." under my breath as I gritted my teeth and swiftly pulled a piece of glass from my hand. I turned my wrist and watched as the blood trickled down to the palm of my hand.

'Now fist your hand and drip the blood onto the dagger.' She instructed.

I did as she said, trying hard not to think about the fact that I was pouring my blood onto a dagger as if I were a witch or something... As soon as my blood dripped onto the dagger, a large sizzle resonated around the room. I stared down in confusion and looked up at my nana. A smirk was plastered to her lips as she shuffled towards me.

"Well done sweety, now let's burn this thing." She appraised, with pride and satisfaction ringing through her voice; her earlier horro gone. Pinching the dagger between her forefinger and thumb, she picked it up then threw it into the fireplace.

"Nan, you know that's not gonna burn in there, right?"

"Of course I do - I'm old not stupid, Olive."

"So why'd you put it in the fireplace?"

"Because I'm going to burn it."

"Nan, haven't we just agreed that it won't burn like that?"