Mission #2 Spotlight

Chapter 4
Maddie's POV

I woke up with a loud yawn and threw my arms aside to feel a stretch between my shoulder blades. I saw my phone laying in its iHome, and pulled it aside to see the google search from last night. Could it be, that I'm psychic and my family wasn't telling me? If they weren't going to slip up and tell me, then I needed a new approach. A more direct approach actually, I need to walk straight up to them and ask them if I'm psychic. Mom hates being put on the spot and if that's what it takes to learn the truth, then so be it.

I slipped out of my comfortable and warm bed and was surprised at the cold feel of the floor. I leaped across my room until I reached the doorway leading to the hall. I crossed aside to the bathroom and grabbed my toothbrush, surprisingly enough I had woken up on my own. I felt the edges of my lip curve into a devious smirk because I would throw Jessie off schedule for a change, she couldn't stand being ahead, or behind.

After brushing my teeth, I ran a soft hair brush through my long mess of brunette hair. I walked back to my room in time to hear Jessica waking up, I knew now in 15 minutes she should be after me. I tiptoed to my room and slipped into a pair of black sport shorts and a pink short sleeved sporty shirt. I pulled my hair into a side ponytail and pushed a black flexible headband backwards on my head. I smiled in the mirror, I didn't look too bad. In fact, I actually looked like a cute sporty girl.

Although I hadn't really done sports before, I was a natural talent when it came to dancing. I've been dancing for as long as I can remember at the studio here in Pittsburgh, PDA. The name is unfortunate, but it beats PAD. At Pittsburgh Dance Academy we learn a lot from going to competitions every 2 weeks. I see a lot of teams there, but I always win in my division because I'm., a natural!

"Maddie time to wake up!" Jessica called, making her way to my doorway. "I've been up," I grinned waiting for her to blow. "Ugh Maddie! You look hideous."

Not the response I was expecting.

"Excuse you? I thought I looked nice." I frowned as Jessica dragged me back to the bathroom and plugged in her curling iron. "Maddie Oh Maddie, this is 8th grade, people are very judgemental, at least wear a little makeup and curl the hair in the ponytail" she wrapped my hair around the burning spoke of her curling iron and allowed me to pick out the makeup I'd wear.

After I was pleased with her job of gussying me up, I raced down the stairs and grabbed an apple off the table. "Hurry Up Jake!" I called to my lazy brother dilly-dallying in the kitchen. "Slow down Maddie we still have 5 minutes until we have to-" he paused and stared at me in dibeleif. His lips curved into a smiled as he found the right jab, "Woah. You're making an effort this year!" He said in mock pride. He reached up to ruffle my hair, but I pushed his hand aside, "Very funny." I turned around and rolled my eyes as I stomped off into my mother's car.

We rode with minimal chatter, due to nerves neither of us were interested in conversing, except for my mother of course, who rambled on as if we were listening to what she was saying. We came to an abrupt stop and my mom unloaded us from her car. "Wait Jake-" I grabbed his arm as if I were about to say something important. "Try and make cute friends this year!" I sauntered off and could practically feel him rolling his eyes at me.

I walked into my new homeroom and could feel all eyes on me. I paused in the doorway, obviously struck by the sudden divert of attention. Jake pushed passed me and waved to his friends as I found a chair in the back, I had forgotten they organized homeroom by last name. I was slightly embarrassed by my sudden shyness, I was usually such a bubbly person.

I unloaded my backpack and left what wasn't needed in the bag by my seat. We would get our schedules and lockers soon, but I was still worried. My face flushed as I heard my name in the whispers around me.

"Is that Maddie Seymour?"
"Oh my god she's changed,"
"I know right! So much prettier and less awkward."
"What happened over the summer?
"Wait does Jake have a twin?"
"She's so gonna be one of the cool kids this year,"

I was surprisingly pleased with the comments except for the fact that people thought I was awkward last year of course.

The day went on as I smiled and it turns out, this was a whole new year. The cool kids asked me to sit with them and Jake was a little annoyed that he had to share the spotlight with me this year because he's always been the cool one.

Satisfied with how the day went I skipped into the car as my mom pulled up to be first in line. I decided now was a better time than ever to accuse my mom of not telling me I'm psychic.

"How was school?" She smiled innocently, "good," I smiled as Jake shut the door and we were off. "Mom how come you didn't tell me I'm psychic, that I can see the future!" I said quickly hoping she would confide it me, instead she burst out laughing.

Not the response I was looking for.

Jake on my left, also burst into a sudden fit of laughter, embarrassed, I sunk back in my chair. "You? Psychic?" Jake laughed and I laughed too, "I'm just joking!" I lied, sheepishly I looked down at my feet to avoid her gaze. Disappointed at my failure my mind began to wonder, there was only one thing I could do, but I was tentative to, in fear of what I'd find.

Authors Note-

10 whole votes! Comment any thoughts :)