Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Seeing his face crushed me.

Sitting down in the plush chair in this somewhat small office I prepared for the questions to come. The man shut the door and sat across from me. I studied him.

He was older, probably in his 50s since he looked in the transition between youth and grandma. He seemed fairly fit at his age. Gray eyes, that made me feel cold.

“So you’re gay right? You didn’t answer my question.” He spoke to me.

I growled, “Ever since I kissed Blake people think I’m automatically gay.”

“Blake? Who’s he?”

“The dude I kissed ok? We were waiting for my parents to pick me up after he helped with my math. We were outside and he kissed me.”

“Did you feel violated?”

“No”

“I see”

By this point I was getting frustrated. Yes I kissed Blake, yes I liked it. Does that mean I’m gay though? Sure I could be I guess but I didn’t think one kiss was a big deal. My thoughts were interrupted.

“You know, it’s best to stop this before it gets out of hand. Have you ever kissed a girl?” He said while scribbling on a notepad he pulled out of his desk.

“No. I never had a crush on a girl either.” I spoke, even though it was a lie. When I was in elementary school we had a dance at our school. I didn’t want to be the only one without a date, so I asked Maria. Sure she was my friend, so it wouldn’t be a date but she was really good to me that night. And I remembered it ever since.

Is that a crush? I didn’t really know.

“How old are you again?” The man asked.

“16.” I said, “What’s your name again?”

The man smiled at me, “I haven’t introduced myself? How rude. My name is… well just call me Dr. Brian”

I looked away from him and studied the room. It reminded me of the psychologist I was sent to when I was in 8th grade. They sent me there because I hadn’t spoken in about a month. Not a single word. They were worried about me I guess, my parents. They realized I just didn’t care enough to talk. Nothing interesting and they said I needed to interact more.

I interacted with someone who they don’t want me to see.

So yeah, pistachio green walls, fake pant in the corner, and a self of books. It seemed pretty useless. But I guess my parents were desperate. I studied the patterns engraved on the bookshelf while Dr. Brian rattled on about how important it was to be open with him.

I didn’t care. About anything.

Why after all these years of people trying to get me to come out of my shell and get to know people they try to shove me back in. I had spent the last couple years getting close to Maria again and then Blake came along too. Now they wanted me to stop. Everything I had tried to put together they just made me drop it.

After God knows how long, our time was up and I was led back to my parents. They took me to the empty elevator and then once the doors closed they asked how it went. That’s when I told them.

“You guys are overreacting. It was a little kiss and that doesn’t even mean I’m gay! You send me to this place where some old guy tells me to pray the gay away. Are you kidding me?”

Immediately my parents began nodding.  “Yes praying is the answer. God will take the devil from our son.” Dad spoke. Mom hugged him and let out a sob. I rolled my eyes, this was ridiculous. They hadn’t even listened to me.