21 | argent means money in french

❝Le temps c'est de l'argent.❞

24 || argent means money in french

time || midday

"He went back to Maryland?" I say quietly.

The thought hasn't settled in. He couldn't have went back to Maryland. He didn't say goodbye to me, he didn't say anything. Not that it was his fault, it was my fault that he got arrested.

So that makes all of this my fault.

"Yeah, grandpa Andy isn't doing so well," Fern says, his voice faltering a bit.

I wonder why he isn't up there with Brolin.

I ask him.

"I'm technically estranged from the family," he tells me as he's arranging the prizes behind the counter glass display. "My Mom is the black sheep. I know it shouldn't be an excuse for me not to go see him, but it's not as if they'd let me in anyway. They've done it when my uncle Gene had been in the hospital. What makes me think they won't do it again."

I don't say anything. I understand his dilemma. It'd probably be that way for Dad and I if we ever thought to do the same for one of his relatives.

I guess every family has their problems.

Sitting at the counter on a stool I lay my head down.

After a few minutes Fern opens his mouth.

"He wanted to find you," he starts to explain but I get up from the stool. I'm already disappointed enough that I missed him, no need in trying to explain further.

"I'm gonna go," I say.

Fern doesn't say anything. He just frowns and nods. "I understand. But hey,"

I wait.

"Here's his number."

:: :: ::

I choose to walk home. I have no money as Brolin and I had spent the rest of my $40 on BS and had relied heavily on his emergency credit card. Besides my house isn't too far.

My phone is dead, so calling for an uber wouldn't have been an option. And my parents would be blowing up my cell phone with their missed calls and concerned messages asking me where I am.

During my walk home I think about me and Brolin. I think about how maybe it was for the best that I hadn't said my adieus to him as it would've been too hard to see him go. It's already enough, that I have to face school tomorrow. I'm going to be alone, and everything after yesterday will be nothing but a dream.

It felt like a dream—surreal and whimsical. Having my "first" GREAT kiss and roaming around the city with the most charming guy ever by my side. Many girls wish for that, and I'd gotten it but there was only so much time before it'd be taken away from me. And that it was.

I probably wasn't going to see Brolin ever again.

Who am I kidding. I was never going to see him again.

:: :: ::

I see both Mom and Dad's cars in the driveway.

I'm too exhausted emotionally and physically to feel like dealing with them. I hope they don't mind me walking past them up the stairs while I go to bed. Oh who cares if they'll mind.