8 / partners. (again.)

⚪⚪⚪

⚪⚪⚪

JASON WOKE UP TO THE MOULDY YELLOW OF HIS CEILING. He sighed happily, closing his eyes. Home at last.

"Morning."

Jason turned to his left, to see Roy curled up in his armchair. In his apartment. Jason's voice was hoarse. "Roy? How did you--what happened?"

"You got abducted, and I saved your ass," Roy smiled. "You're welcome."

"Wait -- " Jason tried to sit up, but pain stabbed through his chest, sending him falling back onto the bed, short of breath.

"Take it easy," Roy lifted Jason's head up,  placing a pillow underneath it, "You broke a rib, and your nose was broken in two places. Zee said you'd need time to heal."

Jason snorted (which also hurt). "Anything else, doc?"

"Both your legs were cut off."

"What?" Jason ripped the blanket off his lower body, to find his (definitely not cut off) legs.

Roy burst into a fit of laughter.

"Oh ha ha," Jason rolled his eyes. "Very funny."

"You should have seen your face," Roy chuckled, wiping away a fake tear.

It was almost like old times.

"Roy -- " Jason began.

"It's okay, Jason. We're good."

"No," Jason inhaled, "We are not good. I left you, Roy. Again. And you still saved my ass. I don't deserve that. You don't deserve that. I was a shithead and you still saved me." Roy was silent, so Jason added:

"I should have died."

Roy's voice was soft. "No one said you could decide who or what you deserve. You get what you get. And I got you."

Jason eyes flitted to his, their gazes locking.

"Roy -- "

"Jason, for once in your life," he said, "shut up."

"Sorry," Jason apologized, Roy shooting him a look.

"And, hell, I'd take any of other the losers than Jason Todd who Coast City-ed me twice with just a note for explanation. But Helena came to me because you were in danger. And as much as I wanted to kill you, I saved your ass because of our promise. You remember that?"

A corner of Jason's lips lifted, "Of course."

"We made a promise to each other in that hospital, right before we kissed. We made a deal that we'd have each other's backs. No matter what happened with us," Roy leaned forward. "The promise still stands. We're never going to fall in love again, but we're still partners, right?"